Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time in the near future, I do plan on installing the OEM fog lights to my Fozie '10 2.5X. I was just wondering what people think about this kit...

1) Is it worth getting or are there any other aftermarket within the same price range that performs better?
2) How's the difficulty of the installation for the OEM kit?
3) How is the switch wired since I noticed that the base model doesn't come with it by the head light controls, unlike higher models?
4) Other suggestions...

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,739 Posts
My opinion is they are marginal at best. My 2001 Outback had superior OEM foglights. I'm going to replace the bulbs with something brighter soon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm interested in answers too chrysler 12. I drive a current generation Nissan Frontier and adding foglights is an easy job because Nissan pre-wired for them. You change out the turn signal stalk, install and plug in the fogs and you're done.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.0 xt Tour
64 Posts
I am installing fog lights on my 2010 FX this next week. After reading so many threads and comments about ineffective ( big word, lots of opinions ) fog light bulbs, what to use is still an issue.
Some recommend PIAA bulbs, some Hoen, but as usual, I am still wondering after reading the pros and cons, which ones to go for. Help?

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
605 Posts
In my experience installing OEM accessories on Subaru's is pretty much plug & play.
Since you'll have the fog lights out I'd replace the bulbs and aim them a little better than when there already installed from the dealer.
You'll be fine.:biggrin:

·
Registered
159 Posts
That is the question: replace the stock bulbs with whaat? Piaa? Heon? sumthing else?

thanks.....
If you are willing to mod the bulb a bit the a 9012 HIR2 is the way to go. By modding the 9012 it will work for the fogs (which take a 9006). There is lots of info out there on how to do the mod. I did the 9011 to replace the high beam 9005 and it was a fantastic upgrade. A Dremmel tool works well. The 9011 and 9012 are expensive but they are lots brighter and last significantly longer.

Here is how to do mod:
HIR bulb base modification

And here is where to buy:
<font color="red">NEW Philips 3rd Generation 9012 (HIR2) - (12.8V 55W - PX22D)</font>

This is what I'm doing when I pick up my fog lights. I know another $70 is a lot but if the gain is anything like the 9005 to 9011 it is totally worth it.

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
The install for the OEM fogs is pretty straight forward. There's a harness in place for the fogs so its a simple plug and play operation. The same goes for installing the new turn signal stalk. Pull off the plastic piece behind the steering wheel, undo a few screws, pull out the turn signal stalk, plug in the new one.

You're going to want to readjust the fog lights though. They are pointed at the ground. I made the mistake of installing them, then testing and realizing they were looking directly at the ground.... Its practically not even visible from the driver's seat. There's a little bolt on the side i believe, just adjust that, and you'll be fine. I did those, along with routing in some extra Fog lights just to be safe.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.0 xt Tour
64 Posts
Fliptwister...thank you for the information, very clear and just what I was looking for.

lovin SF.org

·
Registered
2009 Forester auto
45 Posts
Well I replaced the 9006 fog in my 09 Forester with Philips 9011 (HIR1) today. Very simple mod to do with a dremel (I am getting good at it after completed H9 replacing H11 and 9011 (HIR1) replacing 9005 in my low and high respectively). Trim the upper tab, removed the 2 rails inside socket, and double up on the o-ring. The difference though noticeable not night and day as H9 and HIR1 in low and high. Probably because the fog is pointing basically to the ground. May have to adjust them up a bit next. One negative thing I noticed is the fog light is real hot to the touch (1c ambient today). Hopefully the housing won't melt in the summer time. I got to watch out for the temperature issue.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Installing fog lights in the '09+ Forester generally requires buying the kit from a Subaru dealer. The kit includes the two lamp assemblies, a relay, and a replacement turn-signal stalk. The required relay socket and light wiring harnesses are already in the car.

Installation instructions can be downloaded at no cost from Subaru's technical information site.

This thread contains good write-ups and pictures.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2013 Forester X 5-speed Manual
356 Posts
I know this is an ancient thread, but I'll be installing a 3rd party fog / driving light kit in my base model SH Forester.

I don't need the control stalk on the steering wheel that comes with the OEM fog lights, as a rocker switch on the dash is fine for me. Anyone see a problem with installing these? Do I need any additional trim parts?

2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Subaru Forester Fog Lights Driving Lamps Kit by Bling Lights

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
679 Posts
Consider the Morimoto/Diode dynamics fog lights. You would still need the wiring kit but the lights are much better, draw less current and are a "drop-in" installation for the lights themselves. I am assuming that the same light will fit your 2010 as fits my 2015. I had the OEM toy fog lights and installing the DD ones was a snap.

Not only will you have better lighting but also possibly Save some $.

GD

·
Registered
2016 Forester Manual 6 Spd
25 Posts
Just another comment on the Fog Light addition question. I agree with and took the same approach as suggested earlier in this thread - namely, I purchased all the parts in the OEM kit, without the OEM fog lights themselves. The cost at my dealer came to about $85. But instead of the Morimoto LED frogs often referenced here, I purchased a set of Projector CREE LED fog lamps from Amazon for $65 and added the harness conversion kit for another $10. I also added Lumin-X yellow films for another $10. So I'm in for $170. But the housings containing the CREE LEDs and Projector lenses is cast Aluminum while the mounting structure is plastic. The rated output of the CREE system is 1200 lm per lamp, just as the Morimoto units. The light output of these 30 watt per lamp LED structures is impressive and the vertical cutoff is sharp with a well defined Fog Light pattern. These lights have a common size, fill factor and mounting system for 4" fog lights, so there are many possibilities that at least out perform the OEM lamps.

I am currently grappling with ways to modify the OEM wiring to make it possible to operate the Fog Lights independent of the low beam headlights while still enabling the Fog Light indicator in the information display.

Just a FYi

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium CVT
290 Posts
Just another comment on the Fog Light addition question. I agree with and took the same approach as suggested earlier in this thread - namely, I purchased all the parts in the OEM kit, without the OEM fog lights themselves. The cost at my dealer came to about $85. But instead of the Morimoto LED frogs often referenced here, I purchased a set of Projector CREE LED fog lamps from Amazon for $65 and added the harness conversion kit for another $10.
Earlier in the thread a couple of posters mentioned modding to 9012 fogs from the 9006.
Does this still apply or have any benefit when using LED bulbs?

·
Registered
2015 Forester
167 Posts
But instead of the Morimoto LED frogs often referenced here, I purchased a set of Projector CREE LED fog lamps from Amazon for $65 and added the harness conversion kit for another $10. I also added Lumin-X yellow films for another $10.
Pictures please :grin2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Adding pictures of the Fog Lights before the install. Each light draws 30 watts. Cast Aluminum housing is hot to the touch, but the plastic mount is room Temp after 15 minutes. Install as per OEM kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Installed the CREE Fog Lights last night and they went in with a few subtle mods required. The fog lights I used are actually old for the Jeep Wrangler and have a slightly different set of mounting tabs from the Subaru OEM fog lights. Looking face-on at the Fog Light with proper top up orientation (see thumbnails) you will see a wider tab at the top relative to the bottom. The lower tab is the right width to fit into the Forester retaining slot, and the distance from the top of the lower tab to the bottom of the upper one is also the correct dimension for the Forester. So I cut off 0.250 inches of the top side of the upper tab with a Dremel tool. The mounting retainer of these fog lights is ABS plastic so cutting and trimming was trivial. Also, I only modified the one side of the light that was to slip into the Forester retainer. For that side, I also used the Dremel to remove the side casting reinforcements to make a flat tab projecting from the housing. On the side to be bolted and clipped in place, I opened the mounting holes to 0.272 inch diameter to fit the Subaru hardware.

Remember that in contrast to the OEM fog housings which are made of ABS plastic, the CREE Fog housing is made of cast aluminum with an integral heat sink. I suspect the sizes are slightly different (98 mm OD for the CREE lights) and it took some careful jiggling to pop the light through the bumper opening. The bumper is surprisingly compliant (flexible) and the housing mounted well. Wiring involved coupling the lights through a capacitive filter to the H11 OEM wiring using a H11 to 9006 wiring adapter cable. Working with just the splash guards flipped down was extremely easy. Pic included of Cree Fog Light installed. Now on the interior wiring mod.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts