Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
04 FXT
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 04 5MT FXT. I was opensource e-tuned by a respectable shop when my car had:
stock TD04
Sti uppipe
Sti headers
Catless DP
Sti catback
snorkus delete

It ran about 15.5-16.5 psi depending on gear, but i'm pretty sure that my turbo inlet was leaking. After about a year driving it like that, I got a new Gimmick Silicone inlet, and the boost jumped up to about 17.5 psi max.

Then a few weeks ago, I sold my Sti catback and got a straight through 3" cobb knockoff catback, and now i can boost up to about 17.5psi in 3rd gear and about 18-19psi in 4th gear.

Is it fine to keep the car with my old tune, or is it REALLY necessary to retune it? It's behaving perfectly well, no boost spiking or erratic behavior of any kind, feels exactly like it did before the inlet and catback, except quicker. I told the shop to be very conservative and safe with the tune. To re-tune, i'd have to buy a taxtrix cable again as well, since i sold mine...

If it makes a difference, the car has 117k miles on it, and the turbo is a stock unit from a 07 wrx.

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
I'm not too sure if you need a tune but I think it would be a smart idea. Your boost numbers seem high for a td04. At least I'd never want to go that high with mine. I hope you don't mind me asking but can I see a pic of your cobb knockoff exhaust? How does it sound?

·
Registered
04 FXT
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not too sure if you need a tune but I think it would be a smart idea. Your boost numbers seem high for a td04. At least I'd never want to go that high with mine. I hope you don't mind me asking but can I see a pic of your cobb knockoff exhaust? How does it sound?
The boost numbers do seem a bit high, but the car FEELS great. Not sure what's going on here.

The exhaust sounds and looks perfect on the FXT. It's kind of loud, but not loud enough to make you raise your voice. I'll get you a few pictures tonight or tomorrow, depending on if it'll still be light outside by the time I get home tonight.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
The boost numbers do seem a bit high, but the car FEELS great. Not sure what's going on here.

The exhaust sounds and looks perfect on the FXT. It's kind of loud, but not loud enough to make you raise your voice. I'll get you a few pictures tonight or tomorrow, depending on if it'll still be light outside by the time I get home tonight.
They say your car will feel its best before it blows.

I would look into a retune,.

I hear that modular depot has a guy who tunes subies. MD is located by the florence mall.

·
Registered
04 FXT
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Horrible cell phone pictures. My camera is MIA, i'll get some better pics when/if i find it! It really is a very nice system, and the quality is great. As I said, it's unresonated straight through 3", so it is loud, but not unbearable. The exhaust note is absolutely perfect though.

Back on the topic, I'm not looking for any more power, just want to make sure that my car is going to be fine.

·
Registered
04 FXT
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They say your car will feel its best before it blows.

I would look into a retune,.

I hear that modular depot has a guy who tunes subies. MD is located by the florence mall.
Cool, I'll look into it. A re-tune is cheaper than a new engine...

·
Registered
04 FXT
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Subaru WRX Tune

Don't know the guy so proceed at own risk.
I talked to the guy via text message, and I don't want to say anything bad by this, but his spelling and pure conversation skills make me not want to trust him with my car's motor.

I would love to find somebody on the forum here who would opensource tune my car for some cash. I'd be willing to drive up to 5 hours for something. I just really don't want to spend $450+ on a dyno tune. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,667 Posts
Contact 614.551.7718
Eric Hargett: [email protected]
Thorne: [email protected]

Try contacting them thru Central Ohio Subarus. They do give discount to COS member. I do not know how much they charge for simple touch up but they do good job and pretty well respected by locals.

·
Registered
04 FXT
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also got some info from a local to contact them reguarding a tune. They charge $350 for a tune with accessport.. Yikes.
That's not very good for me haha i don't even have an AP! :icon_frown:

AP+tune=$800+

I guess i'll keep contacting people and hopefully find somebody who can do it. Most tuners I've heard of don't touch cars without AP's in the first place. I've been extremely happy with my opensource e-tune by 555 Motorsports, but I just wanted to get tuned without buying a cable. I'll probably end up ordering another tactrix cable and go to Matt from 555 again. Then sell the cable :Banane17:

Oh man...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
They do open source and other car also from Honda, Mitsubishi and domestic.
RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / Professional RomRaider Tuner Directory

That $350 are for dyno tune. The dyno cost around $100 per hour and usually and a tune usually takes 1-2 hours. I expect around $200 for a road tune. Might be less if he only need to adjust the boost map.

A call is free. why don't you call them and know exactly.

·
Registered
04 FXT
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll definitely do that tomorrow morning, I appreciate the feedback. If an OPENSOURCE dyno tune can be had for $350 or less, then it might just be worth it to go for it and not mod the motor ever again. I'll definitely give him a call tomorrow just to check first hand.

Augie: where are you located?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I in northwest of Columbus. A lot of people from Central Ohio Subarus got tuned by ATS and all are very satisfied with Eric. If you register with central Ohio Subarus there is a proven power section and there is a few forester that makes really nice power. When I am ready for a tune I will use him. Having local support are definitely worth it. Try PMing Brandon/BVOFXT and ask his opinion. His is tuned by ATS using opensource and makes really nice power.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts