Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the day off so we took a ride to the Citrus area of the Withlacoochee State Forest and hit the sandy trails. So far this is the most extreme I've tackled in a flat area. The trails were more treacherous that the vido shows, but it was great!

The traction was excellent and the clearance made the difference. My fellow adventures were impressed. You might hear their comments in the video.

YouTube - Trail Driving 5, Clearance Test

YouTube - Trail Driving 6, tamer and slower

Rick

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
That's awesome! It cool to see that you're getting out there and using your fozzy. Would you be intersested in putting together a trail ride after the holidays? My schedule is packed till then, but I would love to ride with other subby guys.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,784 Posts
Count me in,all my off roading is solo or with Bubba truck guys.
Would love to get in the dirt with some other Sube's.

DOHC_Holiday Off roads here in Fl as well.
We need to make this happen.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's awesome! It cool to see that you're getting out there and using your fozzy. Would you be intersested in putting together a trail ride after the holidays? My schedule is packed till then, but I would love to ride with other subby guys.
Same with my schedule. Would love to do some exploring with you, man.

Going to Tennessee for Thanksgiving week. Should be plenty of places to give her a test. Might even snow according to my sister who we're visiting. Renting a cabin in the hills near Smoky Mt. Nat. Park. Will take lots of videos.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
I really NEED to get my ball joint replaced first. Should be able to get that done soon though. With a little luck, we'll be a 2 fozzy family by then. I'm activly looking for 03-06 for ~$8000.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,784 Posts
I really NEED to get my ball joint replaced first. Should be able to get that done soon though. With a little luck, we'll be a 2 fozzy family by then. I'm activly looking for 03-06 for ~$8000.
If your changing it yourself be aware they can be a real pain in the :censored: to get out of the hub.
I had to remove hubs and place in a vise and beat them out with a pickle fork.
The indentation around the ball joint for the pinch bolt let a ring of rust form on the hub and it wouldn't let it go.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
469 Posts
If your changing it yourself be aware they can be a real pain in the :censored: to get out of the hub.
I had to remove hubs and place in a vise and beat them out with a pickle fork.
The indentation around the ball joint for the pinch bolt let a ring of rust form on the hub and it wouldn't let it go.
Skidoosh, ball joint separator:

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium AT
4 Posts
Nice videos! The first time I ever drove a Forester was at Withlacoochee a few years ago. I went there to photograph birds (it's a great place for Bachman's Sparrows and Red-cockaded Woodpeckers) and rented one at the Tampa airport. All those sandy tracks there are no problem at all for a Forester.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Premium AT
4 Posts
Who said you have to be old to look for birds and can't have excitement too? Some of the best places are along some of the worst tracks. :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2007 Forester
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I'm not getting any younger! Nowdays I have the patience to sit and wait with my binoculars and camera. Kind of like fishing.

In our backyard we have a pileated woodpecker who appears from time to time, and red shouldered hawks. Lots of Ibis, cattle egrets, white herons, and the usual sparrows, blue jays, etc.

On my way home from a friends house yesterday I saw a Bluebird! Very rare as I've only seen 3 in my life.

I'm sure we'll get a good migration from up north this season.

I'm not a 'bird watcher' but I like to watch birds.

·
Registered
1999 Forester
469 Posts
Well, I'm not getting any younger! Nowdays I have the patience to sit and wait with my binoculars and camera. Kind of like fishing.

In our backyard we have a pileated woodpecker who appears from time to time, and red shouldered hawks. Lots of Ibis, cattle egrets, white herons, and the usual sparrows, blue jays, etc.

On my way home from a friends house yesterday I saw a Bluebird! Very rare as I've only seen 3 in my life.

I'm sure we'll get a good migration from up north this season.

I'm not a 'bird watcher' but I like to watch birds.
I have one of these in the neighborhood. Super badass bird.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts