Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Good forum. I have already posted on a Scooby forum as my car is actually an impreza but as far as I can tell the engine is more of a Forester? (It's a non-turbo 2002 bugeye SOHC 120 ish bhp.

So I have been doing the cambelt job (which looks so easy from all the videos online) but when I came to fit the new cambelt, I was struggling trying to get the lines on the belt to line up with the marks on the cams and crank and then the cam on the right had side just jumped a bit clockwise, with little click noise! - see photos.

I nearly suffered a heart attack and I have had no reply on the Scooby forum yet (its been a while now) and I'm reluctant to touch anything in case I don't do something correctly.

What I need to know is, how do I get this cam that has jumped, back to 12 o clock position - can I just pull the belt off, and rotate the cam clockwise so that it goes back to the 12 o clock position and then I can start again? Or do I rotate it counter-clockwise which would be the least travel???

If it helps -
2002 bugeye sport, 170k, fitted new tensioner bracket Aisin waterpump, dayco belt, tensioner and all the little idlers Japanese made and also new stat.

I tried to do a good job but wasn't expecting any complications like this!

Thanks all

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi All,

Good forum. I have already posted on a Scooby forum as my car is actually an impreza but as far as I can tell the engine is more of a Forester? (It's a non-turbo 2002 bugeye SOHC 120 ish bhp.

So I have been doing the cambelt job (which looks so easy from all the videos online) but when I came to fit the new cambelt, I was struggling trying to get the lines on the belt to line up with the marks on the cams and crank and then the cam on the right had side just jumped a bit clockwise, with little click noise! - see photos.

I nearly suffered a heart attack and I have had no reply on the Scooby forum yet (its been a while now) and I'm reluctant to touch anything in case I don't do something correctly.

What I need to know is, how do I get this cam that has jumped, back to 12 o clock position - can I just pull the belt off, and rotate the cam clockwise so that it goes back to the 12 o clock position and then I can start again? Or do I rotate it counter-clockwise which would be the least travel???

If it helps -
2002 bugeye sport, 170k, fitted new tensioner bracket Aisin waterpump, dayco belt, tensioner and all the little idlers Japanese made and also new stat.

I tried to do a good job but wasn't expecting any complications like this!

Thanks all

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
326 Posts
Put a wrench on the bolt in the centre of the cam and rotate it back the way it came. No harm done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put a wrench on the bolt in the centre of the cam and rotate it back the way it came. No harm done.
Well well, thank you very much for that advice, it worked. First time I tried it with my ratchet there was a bit of resistance and when I ran out of clicks on my ratchet it sprung round to the 6 o clock position, so I tried it again and it turned back to 12 o clock and its sitting like that right now. Hooray.

Again, good forum!

·
Registered
2003 EJ20K Forester
326 Posts
The valve springs for each cylinder are in different positions, so they tend to fight eachother and want to find the lowest potential energy state. There are always a few positions where the cam wants to sit. Unfortunately, this isn't ever on cylinder 1 TDC, so cambelt changes like this are always a bit of a battle. I'm sure the OEM technical manual calls for a "cam holder" of some sort to avoid this problem, but us poor grassroots folk are stuck fighting with it.

Any incidental bump of valve on piston is relatively low force. You might have scuffed up the carbon deposit on the piston or valve, but it will be inconsequential. Consider that those valves slam into their seat 50 times a second at 6000 RPM - they can definitely handle a low speed bump into something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts