Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to Subaru. I picked up my 2018 Forester Touring about 6 weeks ago and really really like it. My questions are about keeping up-to-date with all the "software" that's in the vehicle. I'm talking about things like Eyesight, Starlink, Starlink Apps and anything else that might not have a "brand" name.

How are we notified if an update is available?
Are updates installed by the dealer? Do we need to request them?
If we, the owners, install, where is the documentation about how to do it?

Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Generally the dealer has to do the updates as I think they are the only ones that have access to the software. Navigation map data may be the one that the owner could do, but not sure. I believe that Subaru went with Tom Tom nav software in the '18 so it may be possible to update it yourself. Generally owners are only identified about software updates if its a critical issue. Most TSBs are if the customer complains, do this variety.

I guess this is intended to make you bring your car into the dealer.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
You will never be notified unless there is a recall. When you take your car in for service, you can inquire if there are any TSB's and, if so, request that they be performed. General rule of thinking..."if it ain't broken, don't fix it!"

Updates can ONLY be installed by your dealer. NAV can be done by the owner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Software update notification fail

We love our 2017 Forester!
However, on a road trip last month, in the middle of Kansas our charging system failed. We spent a day getting "jumps" and limping to a dealer for a fix. Turns out we needed a software update for the "battery".
Is there no way to let owners know about these, or do we need to call the dealer before any road trip.
Subaru says, basically, so what?
Not what I expected.
How hard is it to send an email to affected owners?:frown2:

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
We love our 2017 Forester!
However, on a road trip last month, in the middle of Kansas our charging system failed. We spent a day getting "jumps" and limping to a dealer for a fix. Turns out we needed a software update for the "battery".
Is there no way to let owners know about these, or do we need to call the dealer before any road trip.
Subaru says, basically, so what?
Not what I expected.
How hard is it to send an email to affected owners?:frown2:
You didn't need a software update but it is an update to help drivers who do a lot of short trips so the alternator will force charging faster at the expense of gas savings. I haven't applied this added software update because of my maintenance habit of tendering all my batteries on the average of once a month and replace every 3 to 4 years.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Yoda_One
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing