Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some advice. I take my new 2009 subie on some dirt roads and although it performs very well i find myself bottoming out if i go too fast (not that fast really) and sometimes feel like the suspension is a bit too soft. I have been looking at different options, from small lifts, and changing the tires but i am wondering if there are any spring/shocks options for the forester. I have been having a hard time finding much. What do you guys think?
Also, i saw that subtle-solutions is planning on doing a 1" spacer for the 09/10 forester and i was wondering if there are any negatives to using spacers in general. Do they cause the springs to wear faster or any other negatives?

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
1" block won't have any negative effect except lifting the car a bit more off the ground. But you like that so then there ain't none. But you need an alignment after installing them ofc.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
When you say bottoming out do you mean the suspension (onto the bumpstops) or the car onto the ground, if its the former lift bloock will have no effect, if the latter, they will.

Simon

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
When you say bottoming out do you mean the suspension (onto the bumpstops) or the car onto the ground, if its the former lift bloock will have no effect, if the latter, they will.

Simon
I agree. I think you need to be more specific on what you mean as "bottoming out" and what speed are you thinking is not tooo fast! I think the FOZ in its OEM set-up is not meant as a rally vehicle!

·
Registered
2009 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I say bottoming out i mean onto the bumpstops. I know it isn't meant as a rally vehicle but when its loaded with camping gear and everything and i hit a large dip the rear suspension bottoms out consistently so i was thinking it would benefit from a slightly firmer suspension in the rear but it doesn't look like there is much i can do is there....

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
Well you can change the coilovers but you will have to do all 4, to keep the FOZ level. Some here have done it with success (megan coilovers or the like), you will be giving up some ground clearance 1/2 to 2 inches depending, but it will certainly stiffen up the suspension and travel rate being stiffer springs and shocks. Depending on how often you go camping with the weight you described the cost may not be worth it. The other option is to go slower thru the dips and take in the sights! :biggrin:

BTW.....I am no expert on this, just giving you my general thoughts. Since this is a new post (1 day) give it some time and hopefully somone will have a better answer for you.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I definitely don't want to lower the subie. I can just slow down i guess. What about those new King Springs that just came out for the forester. Anybody have any experience with those?

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
144 Posts
I am looking for some advice. I take my new 2009 subie on some dirt roads and although it performs very well i find myself bottoming out if i go too fast (not that fast really) and sometimes feel like the suspension is a bit too soft. I have been looking at different options, from small lifts, and changing the tires but i am wondering if there are any spring/shocks options for the forester. I have been having a hard time finding much. What do you guys think?
Also, i saw that subtle-solutions is planning on doing a 1" spacer for the 09/10 forester and i was wondering if there are any negatives to using spacers in general. Do they cause the springs to wear faster or any other negatives?

The classic way to deal with temporary sagging/bottoming caused by heavy loads was air shocks. Firm 'em up when you needed to; normal the rest of the time. Is that still a viable solution?

Drive safely,
Bob

·
Registered
2009 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would like to have adjustable shocks for the Subaru but I don't really know if they are available. It doesn't look like they are. Does anybody know if there are any?

·
Registered
1998 Cayenne GTS 6speed
1,752 Posts
Swift springs is an option. They are lower, but the rates are higher. The cost is reasonable, too.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I definitely don't want to lower. I might go with the King Springs when they come out. They should be coming out soon and they supposedly have the same height as stock.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
If you are bottoming out, you need to increase suspension travel, or get stiffer springs, or both. The lift blocks will do nothing for either, they will just lift the body. Ideally, sounds like you'd want springs close to stock height with higher rates. Sounds like you are doing some pretty swift off-road driving, maybe some rally-specific suspension will work for you.

Stan

·
Registered
2009 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah ideally that is the best. Unfortunately not much is available right now. Maybe the King Springs that are coming out soon will be the ticket!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts