Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're looking for a way to expand our storage on occasional trips -- mostly camping -- and just need something mostly for sleeping bags, soft luggage, etc. I don't think a hard cargo box is necessary for us. We wouldn't use it enough, it's too expensive, and it's difficult to store. We have Yakima crossbars on our Forester. We're trying to decide on a basket plus pouch or just a good pouch. I know Thule makes a pouch that sits on the cross bars (like a hard box but rolls up). We've also looked at Sherpak and Kanga pouches, which I think can sit directly on the car or in a basket. (Both I think are more water resistant than the Thule.)

Is there any reason not put anything directly on the roof? Directions always say not to exceed the roof's limits, but the manual doesn't really specify that -- just the weight limits for the cross bars. We did this once on a Saturn, and it dented the top (admittedly, that was a plastic car). Our concerns about the basket is something else to store, and we've read that MPGs take a serious hit with a basket (~6+). Obviously, any option would affect fuel economy, but we'd like to minimize that if possible. I've heard some of the other basked options (e.g., Rola) may be less tall and create less drag.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,079 Posts
I believe when they give the weight limit on the roof, it refers to the weight placed on the roof rails & directly on the sheet metal. I suspect if you place items (weight) directly on the sheet metal, it could damage the roof. In your situation, I'd say a roof basket would be the way to go. I believe they come with a front air flow defector, so that should help give you some streamlining. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Why not put a thin sheet of plywood (or something like that) in the soft carrier to act as a floor? Then mount it to your Yakima cross bars. That would keep the carrier off the sheetmetal and all you have to store is the piece of plywood.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
I have a basket and did not get a drop in mpg. Yes there will be a bit of a drop if you are carrying something that is not aerodynamic (big donkey square box) but I use a travel bag in the basket. In a recent trip I did not notice a drop in mpg while driving across the rocky mountains.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I have a basket and did not get a drop in mpg. Yes there will be a bit of a drop if you are carrying something that is not aerodynamic (big donkey square box) but I use a travel bag in the basket. In a recent trip I did not notice a drop in mpg while driving across the rocky mountains.
Same thing here, and I've taken my basket/bag combo on several multi-hour road trips. No real drop in mpgs that i noticed.

My bag has a nice felt pad on it, but I wouldn't put it directly on the roof on my X. I'm sure it would move a little and anything between the pad and the paint is going to cause scratches.

I have put the bag directly on the roof of my XT, but I have roof protector luggage bars on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts