Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brakepedal on my 06 FXT feels pretty soft. I would like to firm it up a bit.

I assume someone has upgraded to SS lines. Was there a noticable difference? Or is the softness a result of the particular booster they use?

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
I just did Goodrich SS, Hawk HPS, Speedbleeders and ATE Blue Fluid. Pedal feel is much better but is not rock solid as I've experienced on other (non subaru) cars I've done the same to. Yes initial bite is better (from pads), but the soft pedal and when the booster (????) kicks in, just does not give you a great feeling. Sorry for the vague reply.

Jeff 06' XT

·
Registered
70 Posts
I did a straight Goodrich SS line swap without doing other upgrades at the same time, and there was an improvement and more solid feel but there still was some softness to the pedal.

·
Fear the Gorilla!
181 Posts
Best way to increase pedal feel is a bigger master cylinder eg., outback or sti. More fluid more pressure. Call Roo for a price on one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Try bleeding/flushing your brakes before doing anything else. I know that my stock fluid was in pretty sorry shape the first time I changed it after only owning the car for a few months. It was heavily discolored and even had some particulate in it near the bleed valves. You don't need anything fancy just any Dot4 off the shelf will do. I'd also suggest you order yourself a set of Speedbleeders. They make a brake fluid job super quick and a one man job.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm with Joth and Peaty, just had a brake job done over the weekend, switched to Goodridge lines, Carbotech pads and new AP fluid. Comparing it to stock it does feel much better, the pads do bite well but it is still pretty soft at the pedal. I am thinking new rotors and Calipers next go around would help and also larger master if that is an option per GTP's suggestion. If you want the most economical fix I would just do the pads,fluid and turn the rotors and see how that feels, might be enough of an improvement without spending a grand plus.JMO.

I wish I would have known about the speed bleeders, I would have covered that with the rest of the brake job. Oh well, something to do next time around, thanks for the link Peaty.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tanj! said:
Try bleeding/flushing your brakes before doing anything else. I know that my stock fluid was in pretty sorry shape the first time I changed it after only owning the car for a few months. It was heavily discolored and even had some particulate in it near the bleed valves. You don't need anything fancy just any Dot4 off the shelf will do. I'd also suggest you order yourself a set of Speedbleeders. They make a brake fluid job super quick and a one man job.
I didn't even think about the fluid because it is new. I will give the fluid a look. I have a 1 man bleeder setup so it will be a snap.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
SS lines will not help

I changed SS lines and fluid and added speedbleeders.. pedal was still soft...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello, Im new here. Just bought a T/tb auto Forester a few days ago and notice that the brake peddle is pretty soft too.

Previous owner replaced all brake pads. He also replaced front brake rotors and rocker cover seals (dont know if that is related to braking system or not?).

What signs should I be looking for in the color/appearance of the brake fluid to tell if it needs bleeding or not?

Thanks,
-John.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Johnnz said:
Hello, Im new here. Just bought a T/tb auto Forester a few days ago and notice that the brake peddle is pretty soft too.

Previous owner replaced all brake pads. He also replaced front brake rotors and rocker cover seals (dont know if that is related to braking system or not?).

What signs should I be looking for in the color/appearance of the brake fluid to tell if it needs bleeding or not?

Thanks,
-John.
The fluid when new is almost perfectly clear unless Subaru uses a type of brake fluid I am not familiar with. You would be looking for any discoloration. The other thing is air in the system. You can't tell you have any until you bleed the brakes though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Can I be alittle different on braided steel lines.
I've made a point of fitting them to all my Subarus and I think they have made a difference. Largely to the feel as the performance is harder to realistically judge.
I think if it gives you more confidence ( but not too much) it has to be worth the relatively small cost. IMHO

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
yes, they should.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SS lines

Hay guys,

Cant comment on the XT (My 06 arrives in two weeks still on the boat.) though I Did a Dot4 fluid change and a set of Bendix Premium my missus Impreza and the car stops on a dime. I have used SS lines before on another car and they did not do much for pedal feel at all (to firm it up) -not worth the $$$, but they did give a constant pedal feel after all night street strip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts