Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester L 5spd
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

I did some searching through the forum, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I've got a '99 Forester with what I assume is the factory roof rack; side rails, two crossmembers and the protective strips running front to back.

I'd like to buy a waterproof (not resistant) cargo carrier and there are, obviously, a ton of them out there.

Being rather ignorant of rooftop accessories, I have two questions:

(1) Does anyone recommend a particular brand?

(2) Given that it has the protective strips that run the length of the roof, do I need to put down anything else to protect the paint? It's in pretty good shape, but I'm not doing to have a stroke over a scratch or two.

Thanks in advance!

Brett

·
Registered
02 Forester L (sold) Manual
1,220 Posts
I was hot to buy one of these about a year ago and did a lot of research, particularly on Amazon, reading the various customer reviews. Two areas of concern are the ability to keep things dry and the construction of the straps to hold it to the car. I'll save you some of the work and tell you the two that were in final contention, both you can find on Amazon and read the various reviews.

Lund 601016 Soft Pack Roof Top Bag

Highland 10396 Black Rainproof and Duffel Bag Car Top Carrier

Ultimately I didn't buy any as our trip came upon us too quickly and we managed to stuff everything into the car, but I'd still like to get one for next time as it will free up a lot of space. A lot of them are made for much larger vehicles so be cognizant of the sizing when you shop. I think both that I mention above should fit fine. And if you buy one, let us know what you think!

·
Registered
1999 Forester L 5spd
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back from my trip and have cargo carrier results

Thanks for the earlier replies I received.

I opted for a Allied International 32424 Cargoloc 15 cu ft soft-sided carrier.

I had to fiddle with the straps a bit because the '99 Foz's main side rails don't let you pass anything through. All the straps had to fasten to the front and back cross rails.

But, it worked like a charm. We had hard rain all the way from Vermont to Maine (6+ hours) and everything came out dry.

It cost about $56 at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I obviously don't have any long-term results, but I am happy so far.

BC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts