Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my cam up on the local classifieds and get this email. Guy asks if its for sale and asks how much. I'm thinking its clearly mentioned in the add but rather than be a dink and mess up a sale I just say it again. I get the next email in an hour. Right away its clearly a scam so I figure I'll have some fun and see where it goes

Michelle McMike <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello, I am happy with your urgent reply. I work with World Health Organization as Public Relation officer and currently I'm of the State, I want to buy your item for my Girlfriend who live and study in West Africa.(Nigeria) I will be responsible for the shipping fee,Am offering you the sum of $890 to cover both item and shipping expenses.Which will go through the Canadian Post (1-2weeks post) to Lagos - Nigeria

What is your mode of payment ? But my own mode of payment is via PayPal since I was screwed before I prefer payment terms to go through PayPal so as to protect both buyer and seller.I believe you and I trust your words you can send me PayPal money request or you kindly forward me your PayPal email address in other for me to make out the payment

I await your urgent response soonest.

Thanks

So I respond:

Hi, that's great. That's very interesting that your girlfriend lives in Nigeria. I am a soldier in the United States Army and I am tasked with working with the Nigerian Army to help capture and imprison internet fraudsters. We have captured many culprits and send them to prison camps in Sudan for 10-20 years hard labour. I will be travelling to Nigeria to arrest more culprits very soon, I can deliver the item in to your girfriend myself. Please let your girlfriend know we will be carrying automatic weapons but not to be alarmed as we mean her no harm. It is better this way as I can promise the package will arrive safely. As you probably know there are many fraudsters in Nigeria who would like to steal this item from you. What is your girlfriend's address ?

Typically these guys will hound you to death if you answer them. For some odd reason he never writes back with his address. I wonder why ??

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,886 Posts
Well done.

This sounds very much like one that Phil (BAC5.2) encountered a while back. What do you think the scam is here? Lure you to a fake PayPal site perhaps, in order to grab your password?

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice...:rock:

you live in ottawa, but you are a us soldier??? :icon_biggrin:

I'm on a secret mission, can't talk about it. :raspberry:

Well done.

This sounds very much like one that Phil (BAC5.2) encountered a while back. What do you think the scam is here? Lure you to a fake PayPal site perhaps, in order to grab your password?
I looked this one up to see how they do it. Pretty simply but crafty. Once you agree to the sale the scammer sends a spoofed Paypal message saying you've been paid so the seller thinks they're received a legit message and sends the product to Nigeria. They hope you're not dilligent and don't check you account. Then if you fall for it they send another message stating there was a problem and you've been overpaid, and your funds are being held until you return the "overpayment" to the seller. As soon as youy do this , you'll get your money. "Paypal" tells you the seller prefers Western Union as the method for you to return the funds. If you fall for that one, then you get ANOTHER email from "Paypal" saying the product has arrived in Nigeria but you as the seller need to pay $200 for import tax. Judging by the forum I read, plenty of people where falling for this scam , some for every stage.

Shame really the buyer didn't respond, my next message was going to include this picture so his "wife" would know what I look like.

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,886 Posts
Wow, that's pretty elaborate. And people get sucked in to every stage of it? Amazing.

These guys would have a lot more success if they set up an office in some place other than Nigeria. It just sort of has that sound about it.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a call for tighter regulation of Western Union.

·
Registered
05 XT Lux
207 Posts
unfortunately it happens not just over the internet. A good customer of mine, an elderly lady living alone who has a heart condition was 'befriended' by a so-called nurse who over months gained her trust and eventually her bankcards and other info. Slowly robbed her of $70000 which was all she had. It took months of detective work by her daughter to track down who she was and finally had that woman arrested. She confessed to the crime and is out on bail now. The old lady still hasn't seen a single penny yet andthis stress is really affecting her health.
I don;t want to sound racist but this woman comes from a certain country which may or may not be named in this thread. It makes me mad bacuse I've actually seen her when she came in a few times to do the shopping for the old lady. That was before we knew of the scam of course. If I were to see her now....

Look out for your elderly friends/family. They are very vulnerable to predators like this and they suffer the most out of it

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Gotta say, yours is one of the better responses to the scammers. Nicely done, good sir! :rock:

And seriously, Michelle McMike? :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts