Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I've been stockpiling the parts for the upgrade, some for as long as 2 years now. This will be a big upgrade to me, I have all the suspension where I want it and its more for fun than anything else that I'm adding a little power.

- 08 STI TMIC
- VF48
- Cobb DP (already have 3 inch WBR catback)
- Protune from our local Subie tuner
- Fumoto valve
- 07 STI steering rack

The steering rack isn't a power mod, since its going into the shop I'm having it all done at once. I've purchased a set of Whiteline steering rack bushings to go in since its all already off the car.

Should be ready for Wednesday, I'm sure it will be a whole different beast when I pick it up. I've been logging my fuel mileage religiously since the day I bought it so I'll easily be able to see how these mods affect fuel economy, not that its a concern for me as modded XT's still return reasonable mileage.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
So you have an updated crossmember?

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^ No, we're going to use a prybar and make it fit :chair: JK, yes I do it just wasn't in the pic since its a big piece of ugly pressed metal.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
^^ No, we're going to use a prybar and make it fit :chair: JK, yes I do it just wasn't in the pic since its a big piece of ugly pressed metal.
LMFAO

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
2,000 Posts
Nope, just the labor to fit it.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,254 Posts
It's a pain in the donkey to do, and a pain in the wallet to pay someone to do. You have to do most of it from under the car, because you need a hoist to hold the engine in place when you unbolt it.

Then you need to do an alignment.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a pain in the donkey to do, and a pain in the wallet to pay someone to do. You have to do most of it from under the car, because you need a hoist to hold the engine in place when you unbolt it.

Then you need to do an alignment.

^^ Yes , its more work since the crossmember has to come out. Regardless I wasn't going to install one myself as I'm not at that skill level but yes it adds a good 4hrs labour. The positive side is the 05+ STI racks are better (tighter handling) than 04 so there's some benefit to having one. It all evens out in the end, I was able to pick this low mileage piece up for cheap and I'll just pay more to install it. Prices have really dropped on them since I bought mine 2.5 years ago.

The alignment is a freebie for me, that's something I've done a few times already.

LOL Vinny. Sure I'd love to go rotated and all that but the name of the game here was to produce more power while remaining perfectly reliable so I can go on long road trips and not worry "what if" scenarios.

Good news is the shop said they would have it ready tonight :woohoo:

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Based on other's simular setups I would expect a minimum 300 hp/tq and would be pleased to end up somewhere in the 325-350 range. Of course slapping it on a dyno today will produce 20-50hp difference from tomorrow so those are really "just numbers".

My tuner says his software can perform a road dyno test that has proven to be very close to the numbers a dyno produces with the same car. I'll probably still do a dyno day , more for the fun of having attended one. While I wanted to do a pre-tune dyno run, we already know the approximate power levels a stock XT produces so it wasn't really necessary.

I'll also pay a visit to the drag strip for more of a "real world" result. I believe last year launching lightly @ 3500rpm I was able to pull a 15.2-15.4 as my best time. If I can break into high 13's I'll be very happy, that's where Tuned2000 is with a simular setup + autobox.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,367 Posts
Looks good Alexxi! Man I want a Cobb downpipe. Looks like the DP comes down to a 2.5" diameter where it meets the Cat-back. You might want to consider cutting that off and have a 3" adapter installed. That's what I ended up doing with my Cobb cat-back. In addition I had a 3" flexpipe added cause I was getting consistant leaks where it mounted up to the Helix downpipe.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks ! What are you running for a DP then ? Word is, with the Cobb DP the 2.5 flange isn't a restrictive issue until you're pushing 400+hp.

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,678 Posts
IMO, the 20W-50 is too thick. Unless you're having a major engine rebuild, I would stick with a robust 30 grade or 40 grade.

Amsoil DEO 5w-40 comes to mind. And their AFF PowerSports 0W-40 for winter. HDD, ACD, RD30, or WCT would be my recommendations for robust 30 grades. You definitely want less drag at the drag strip.

I know you didn't ask, but that's my two cents. :biggrin:

-Dennis

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
IMO, the 20W-50 is too thick. Unless you're having a major engine rebuild, I would stick with a robust 30 grade or 40 grade.

Amsoil DEO 5w-40 comes to mind. And their AFF PowerSports 0W-40 for winter. HDD, ACD, RD30, or WCT would be my recommendations for robust 30 grades. You definitely want less drag at the drag strip.

I know you didn't ask, but that's my two cents. :biggrin:

-Dennis
HAHAHA What? :confused:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts