Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Forester S
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally got my forester on a hoist today and both left and right head gasket is leaking oil. its a sohc 00. So I've done a bunch of reading in old posts and I'm going to attempt this with the motor in the car. I will be replacing my timing belt too while Im at it. So I guess my quess my question is what will I need to get for my next forester mod?? I would like a run down of exact parts I would need so I can get parts comming. And to make it clear I read I don't need new studs? right? and of course Im on a budget. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
99 Forester
205 Posts
How many miles since the belt was changed? How much can you afford?

I'd do the belt, upper gaskets and valve seals at a minimum. You could go as far as rebuilt heads, tensioner, rollers, water pump, alternator .... wherever you want to stop.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Forester S
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my car has 102xxx on it and I don't think the belt has ever been changed. but basically I just want the bare, money is pretty tight so I only want to get parts I would need for sure.
so AC belt, alt belt, timing belt but not sure If I know if the tensioners are bad??
I can afford the head gasket kit from subaru and that should have all the gaskets I need. Right?? sorry its noobish but this is my first suby but have worked on hondas in the past. thanks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think the Felpro gasket set is a very good value and head gaskets appear to be very similar or identical to Subaru. You need more than head gaskets since intake manifold and heads must removed.

I would strongly recommend having the heads rebuilt; valve stem seals, reseat valves, leak/crack checks, and shaving head to absolutely flat for best sealing. I once tried to skip this step and got to redo HGs for my reward. Head rebuild cost me $250 plus seals for my 99 Forester recently.

If you plan to do w/ engine remaining in place read my post and ArizonaSubaru posts on this method. There are some tricky points to make this work, but it works well if you take advantage of engine "float". Take your time when installing the head gaskets and heads; cleanliness is essential for sealing. Don't hesitate to back out if some dirt gets on engine or cylinder head.

good luck

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
I'd do the tensioners and idlers as well regardless, those parts are whats going to keep your belt from jumping down the road.

You may want to read the most current thread on the change in gaskets for the 2.5. In this thread we have a new member from All Wheel Drive Auto: Independent Seattle Subaru Repair & Service providing some valuable experience and insight, beside all the members who also have experience doing this.

You may also want to post where in South Dakota you are, you may find someone local willing to lend a hand.

Keep us posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts