Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a forester XS from 2003 that I got used almost a year ago. It has the 6 CD in dash changer.

I just took a road trip down from my home just north of NYC to North Carolina with two friends. On the way back, I was merging back onto the highway on-ramp and some books that were sitting on my dashboard slipped down, nocked my gear-shift dropping the car into 3rd gear, and fell against the CD player. The CD player decided that it would be a good idea then to eject CD 1, and not to do anything else. Which really sucked because I had a good 300 more miles left to drive.

There are 2 things that confuse me. The first is that when I turn on the headlights, the lights that light up the buttons all turn on.
The second is that the little thing at the top of the CD changer screen that tells you what CD's are in the changer is on, and says that all the CD's are in. This is wrong, since it ejected CD 1, but it does mean that the CD changer is getting power.

Soooo, any suggestions for breathing new life into my CD player? Car rides are getting rather boring with nothing but the sound of the wind, so I would really like to get this working again.

Are there any step-by-step instructions online for how to take apart the CD player and maybe find what's broken?

Thanks guys,
Zac

·
Registered
154 Posts
yes there are instructions If you haven't regested on scoobymods yet you need to
heres the link the second one is for the boost guage install but the second page has pictures and everything
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1683
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2408&page=2&pp=15
these intructions are for getting it out of the dash I don't know of any intructions that help you with the internals of the CD changer
I guessing that the on/off button is the problem if it is displaying everything eles

If you Find that the player is busted and you want another :D
http://www.subaruforester.org/viewtopic.php?t=295
hope this helps

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Have you tried just holding down the eject button (regardless of power state)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE:
So I found the circuit for the CD player, it looked fine, swapped it out with a known good fuse, and guess what, it still didn't work.

Does anyone have a tutorial for pulling the CD player out of the 03 Forester? I've searched online and I can't find anything. I know I have to get the plastic pieces of the dash off, but I can't find any place that will show me in depth how to do this without breaking the plastic.

I'm having trouble getting scoobymods to accept my registration, so I can't see the images that Byrdman tried to show me. I'm free tomorrow, and I would really like to attempt to crack this thing open and see what I can do.

Thanks a lot,
Zac

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
zac850 said:
UPDATE:

I'm having trouble getting scoobymods to accept my registration, so I can't see the images that Byrdman tried to show me. I'm free tomorrow, and I would really like to attempt to crack this thing open and see what I can do.

Thanks a lot,
Zac
I checked and it looks like you are registered, if you have problem PM Kastle if possible he may be able to help

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,129 Posts
zac850 said:
On the way back, I was merging back onto the highway on-ramp and some books that were sitting on my dashboard slipped down, nocked my gear-shift dropping the car into 3rd gear, and fell against the CD player
Just noticed this. Not a good idea with objects on the dash if you have airbags.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts