Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Crosstrek Ltd
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved to Northeast PA, and finally got my license and registration after a dozen trips for bull****. I been ignoring what people have been telling me how they hate NY'ers here, but that changed for me yesterday.

Quick inspection is look at brakes, tires, lights, no check engine light, good, ok pass. These bastards spent 1 hour under there looking to fail it, and "found" a 1 inch hair line crack back near the muffler.
I passed NYS inspection right before I moved here a month or so ago.

Guy is like, you got 10 days to get that fixed, there is no extension for you...

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the exhaust should still be under warranty since it's a Subaru part and no older than 15 months and still under new car warranty.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Did you get it inspected at a shop? Most shops will try to fail you for stuff that they can get you to get repaired at their shop. Its a huge scam. Try going to a shop that does stuff like oilchanges at the most.

If it was a shop, I would complain to the state DMV or whoever, they can take away the ability for a shop to perform inspections.

and yes, it should be covered.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
I recently moved to Northeast PA, and finally got my license and registration after a dozen trips for bull****. I been ignoring what people have been telling me how they hate NY'ers here, but that changed for me yesterday.
Red tape and bureaucratic bullsh*t are Pennsylvania's two main growth industries. In fact our state government is debating the feasibility of exporting it. That is, if they could cut through the federal red tape and bullsh*t and get the export licenses.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you get it inspected at a shop? Most shops will try to fail you for stuff that they can get you to get repaired at their shop. Its a huge scam. Try going to a shop that does stuff like oilchanges at the most.

and yes, it should be covered.
That's what I am gonna try tomorrow. I really don't have the time or money to be screwing with this.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,081 Posts
Bring along the paperwork from the inspection station and it should be an open and shut case for warranty repair at any dealer.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Slushbox
1,777 Posts
Inspection on an 09 vehicle and it fails?!?!

It's all just a scam to pull money outta your wallet.
A scam on the governments part,the inspection stations part,everyone involved.

Our government is EVIL.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
Sounds like jealousy over the XT and its nice sounding exhaust

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am pissed about it. I never had trouble in NYC like I do here in this backwards area...

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,497 Posts
You are painting things with a broad brush. There are lots of good honest dealers out there. And with a crack in the exhaust..you should fail. It could be a huge liability for the dealer to pass a questionable exhaust.

A number of years I personally know of a person that got their vehicle passed (in Pa.) a week later he was dead and his gf was ion the hospital bc of Carbon Monoxide Poison)..Oh yea..he went to jail.

There is no constitutional right to drive in Pa. It's a 'Privilege' that is based on compliance with the laws. Go down south and find some vehicles that pass even though they are unsafe. Maybe I b1tch about inspection sometimes. But I want the brakes on vehicles in Pa. to be inspected.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn!!! btw... I like that the brakes are checked, as it gives me an idea what is left on them.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Glad to see you are back. Sorry to hear about your issue though.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Other than this hiccup, the Forester has been such an amazing vehicle to me. I have almost 15K miles on her now, and she's just an absolute pleasure to drive. I been glancing to see what else is out there from other manufacturers, but, I can't find anything out there I'd want to replace my Forester with. When I had my Legacy, I had a giant list of other vehicles I would have rather been driving.

I am wondering what I am going to do at the end of my lease in 2011. As of now, I have been more than thrilled with the Forester. Unless Subaru pulls an ace out of its hat before then, or they have an STI with one of those dual clutch transmissions, or a Forester XT SPT edition, then I might just buy out the Forester.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
178 Posts
State inspections are all a joke no matter where you are. They are meant to do one thing and one thing only; take money from the taxpayers to give to the government in a manner that isn't a "tax". And some shops/testing facilities are quick to take advantage of it in order to make an extra buck.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
State inspections are all a joke no matter where you are. They are meant to do one thing and one thing only; take money from the taxpayers to give to the government in a manner that isn't a "tax". And some shops/testing facilities are quick to take advantage of it in order to make an extra buck.
That is true in some cases, unfortunately. However an awful lot of people are clueless about the condition of the brakes, steering linkage, exhaust system, and so on of their vehicles. Regular mandated DVM safety inspections can help avert mechanical failure and a potential accident if done by a competent...and honest...mechanic.

You could argue that the mandated safety inspections aren't stringent enough in some states.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
Thats one thing I don't miss from living in the philly area. The last 3 years I lived in pa my tacoma cost me at lest $700 a year for inspection. We don't have any here in northern CO but thats going to change with the new EPA rules. They do drive by emissions checks down in Denver. I was driving by one and all 3 cars in front of me got green lights. When I passed it I didn't get any light at all. I guess the PZEV was too clean for it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts