Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '01 Forester S, and the remote size bugs me, I much prefer the key of my '09 Legacy:

Well as it turns out, those are the same key blank, the remote buttons work too!

I was skeptical since in the newer cars, to program the remote you do some additional funny steps with the lock button, compared to the simpler programming of the older cars, but as it turns out, you can take the key in the above picture, and use your instructions in the older car's manual, and it works perfectly, except the trunk button doesn't work, but who cares.

So all you do is go into a dealer and buy a key for an '09 Tribeca/Legacy/Outback (not '10 since those are laser cut), and don't have them program the PATS chip inside it, so it should run you like $79 if you program the keyless entry yourself, which takes 10 seconds.

Is it worth $79? Probably not, but if you find yourself needing to replace a remote and key, this may be worthwhile for you. I was bored at work today so I took one of the pre-owned Tribeca's keys to experiment with, and was happy :D

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
Welcome to the 09 Legacy key club! The vendor/dealers on this forum sell the keys a lot cheaper than $79. They should work for any 99-08 Forester.

I've had mine for quite a while and It is well worth the cost, even if it was $100.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, haha, shoulda searched before posting. I almost felt bad about better pricing online but with my employee discount all is well, bought and cut for 55 bucks or so. Haha i thought maybe i discovered something for once, d'oh :d

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,897 Posts
You have to get up pretty early to beat Sea-Scooby regarding keys and remotes. Even considering the timezones!

·
Registered
2007 Forester
92 Posts
Welcome to the 09 Legacy key club! The vendor/dealers on this forum sell the keys a lot cheaper than $79. They should work for any 99-08 Forester.

I've had mine for quite a while and It is well worth the cost, even if it was $100.
Which vendors should one look into for a cheaper key for this? Hodges?

And let me get this straight. All you do is buy the key, take it to your car push some buttons on it in some order and bam, programmed? Or am i missing something?

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts

And let me get this straight. All you do is buy the key, take it to your car push some buttons on it in some order and bam, programmed? Or am i missing something?
I got mine for ~$62 out-the-door w/cut from Jackie (@ Annapolis Subaru). But then again I am there an awful lot and Jackie might have felt bad for me and gave me a good deal. Give her a call, she's great!

You'll obviously need to get the key cut, but in my 06XT this procedure worked for me

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/540247-post13.html

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
I bought my key from Hodges since they are closer to me than Jackie, and Ben is a buddy of mine.

I paid $20 at a highend locksmith to get it cut though. My wife keeps asking me when she gets one for her X.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
I bought my key from Hodges since they are closer to me than Jackie, and Ben is a buddy of mine.

I paid $20 at a highend locksmith to get it cut though. My wife keeps asking me when she gets one for her X.
Definitely nothing against Ben. Jackie is local to me so I stopped in to see her. But I do know she ships everywhere.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi, can you advise - I have a uk 99 turbo with the separate key and blue Sigma alarm fob. Will this Legacy key work with this model and will it replace both the original key and alarm fob?

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

You are not missing anything, unless your car has the engine immobilizer chip in the key. Then you have to do some other funky stuff like in the link above.

Assuming you don't have the engine immobilizer chip, you simply look in your manual and follow the directions under "programming keyless entry remote"

Mine was easy cuz I just had to press a button on the remote and it synched. The newer cars, not sure what year, you have to press the lock button a crapload of times to correspond with the remote's ID#.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Correct, it's 05 that the immo started. So CJ, you should be able to just get the key and get it cut, then program. Should only come out to like $60.

It's worth it to me.. I used to have a ton of keys, and the key AND fob really made it worse.. which is why I went ahead and did the 09 LGT key fob replacement in the thread that Todd previously mentioned.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
92 Posts
Sorry I'm following up late on this, but since I have an '07 that should mean I have the disabler chip right? So I would need to do the procedure outlined in the link provided above?

Thanks for the info! You folks are great.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,100 Posts
The 07 X does not have the immobilizer, so all you need to do is get the key cut to fit your car!

The immobilizer only came on the 05-08 XT, and all 09+ models. The 09+ models use a laser cut key though, so the Legacy key won't work for them.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
^well, the 2010 Legacy key is laser cut but we have nobody to verify if the remote portion works. The laser cut key cost a fortune.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 2010 legacy key has the same remote as the 09's just with a laser cut key in it. So the remote would work but it's useless since the key can't be cut

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Well it can be dealer laser cut to fit 09+ Foresters probably... at a hefty cost that is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts