Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've got a noise coming from the rear somewhere, so I figured I would change the rear diff oil. My noise is still there, with no noticable change at all.:yell: I found a bit of metal on the magnet, but not too much. I don't think the problem is in the rear now. I guess this means the dreaded wheel bearings. Anybody done a how to DIY those? Also, while under it today, I noticed that someone removed the ABS sensors from both drums.:evilatyou: Any guesses why someone would do that?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought so too, but it's not. One sensor is removed and wrapped around one of the links. the other sensor is still in the backing plate, but the wire going to it has been cut off.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
being that makes no sense, i would look in to it, im guessing you got the car used??
by the way has the ABS ever turned on??? if not someone may have messed with your system, the bulb for light may have even been removed

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it's quite used. The ABS does work, well, the front does. I have not checked the bulb yet. Will do that next time I drive. It should turn on with key on but not running?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been doing a little research on tools to do this. Anybody seen this tool?

OTC 6537 Hub Tamer

It only talks about doing front wheel bearings with this, but I assume it would work on rears also. Will check with mfg first though. I will buy the tools if I can do the job for about the same price as having a shop do it. I've got 4 rear wheels that will need to be done adventually?

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
anyone?, anyone? (Bonus pts if you get the reference)
I see your quote and raise you:

In 1930, the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, in an effort to alleviate the effects of the... Anyone? Anyone?... the Great Depression, passed the... Anyone? Anyone? The tariff bill? The Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act? Which, anyone? Raised or lowered?... raised tariffs, in an effort to collect more revenue for the federal government. Did it work? Anyone? Anyone know the effects? It did not work, and the United States sank deeper into the Great Depression. Today we have a similar debate over this. Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone seen this before? The Laffer Curve. Anyone know what this says? It says that at this point on the revenue curve, you will get exactly the same amount of revenue as at this point. This is very controversial. Does anyone know what Vice President Bush called this in 1980? Anyone? Something-d-o-o economics. "Voodoo" economics.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are my hero.:banana: Now how about those rear wheel bearings? Am I the only one crazy, oh I mean stupid enough to do this?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
I've been doing a little research on tools to do this. Anybody seen this tool?

OTC 6537 Hub Tamer

It only talks about doing front wheel bearings with this, but I assume it would work on rears also. Will check with mfg first though. I will buy the tools if I can do the job for about the same price as having a shop do it. I've got 4 rear wheels that will need to be done adventually?
I have used this Harbor Freight kit before when helping a neighbor with his Toyota. The quality is not that of the OTC or the HubShark but unless you are doing 5 a day in a shop there is not need to spend 4 times the price.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm a tech by trade. I don't work on cars for a living, but the things I do work on are significantly more complicated. I've been wrenching on cars as a hobby for more than half my life. I have no fear!!!

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I've decided to do this myself and what tool to buy. Does anyone have recomendations for brand of bearings. I got a price from Jacky of $87.75 for bearing, seals, and nut. Its about 75.00 without the nut at the local auto parts store. It's a National bearing.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
let me know how it turns out. i wish i had a spare set of tires to rule out my tire noise.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I got around to changing my bearing. It wasn't too bad, but I ran into a few things you may want to know about in advance.
1. When you rent/buy a slide hammer, make sure it will fit our lug pattern. AutoZone's did not work. Advance Auto's did, but did not come with a slide hammer. It came set up like a gear puller, but it will thread onto AutoZone's slide hammer.
1b. Part of the bearing will probably be on the hub when you get it out. Have a plan for getting this off. I used a 3 jaw gear puller and fashioned a way to fill the hole in the center of the hub. Be VERY careful not to scratch the seal surface with the puller.
2. The Harbor Frieght version of the HubShark does not have an adaptor that fits perfectly, but with a little planning, you can make it work.
3. Advance Auto rents this tool too.
4. Back to #2, The adaptor that is small enough to fit inside the hole of the knuckle, does not clear the center part of the bearing. You can do one of two things: remove the outer half of the center of bearing, or use an adaptor that is too big until you get it pressed in to flush with the outside of knuckle. At that point, pull tool back apart and use the race of the old bearing as an adaptor to press in all the way.
5. Don't forget to put in the snap ring or outer seal back in before pressing in the hub.:icon_eek: (I did catch it before pressing it in, but barely)
6. Plan on doing a brake job while you're in there.:crazy: Just one more trip to the store.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts