Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was heading home from work today and i was about 1/10 of a mile away from my house and when i went into second gear (very roughly, and shifting fast, i know i know) there was this loud bang and my transmission went into nuetral and it sounded like something was draging, thought maybe i had broken an axle or something, luckily the road i was on was all down hill till i got to my house so i just coasted into my driveway. now i can put the car into gear (i tried reverse and 1st) and i could begin to move the car but didn't want to try anything. but after i tried that i put the car back into nuetral and the car started to vibrate and began getting worse and worse and then i shut it off. too scared to try anything else. so what did i brake? input shaft, drive shaft, clutch plate. please don't tell me i need to rebuild my tranny cause if i do i'm gonna just get straigt cut gears or something. anybody have a clue? i have to wait till my dad or somebody gets home to help me push my car onto ramps or something to take a look underneath and then on to pull the tranny this weekend.
thanks for any help and sorry bout the long read

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so i drainded my trans fluid and here are the pictures, tell me what you think does it look like a borked tranny. i already have plans to contact andrew tech and check out my upgraded gearset options. he's about an hour from me and has a fantastic reputation, no one else would do :)

:( :( :(

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
That sucks...kind of hard to tell from the images but some of those pieces look fairly large. Yeah, AndrewTech is a great place and will take care of you.

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, it is kinda hard to tell but the pieces are def. kind of big, anybody want to help drop a tranny this weekend? ha, jk

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got some more close up pics with pennies for size reference, the first pic has the largest chunk i found, looks like a whole tooth :(

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
Oh crap, that doesn't look good... :(

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yowza!!
i'm sure thats what mine probably looks like, i'm gonna try and get pics when i take it to andrewtech, i'm gonna call him tomorrow and then right after that call the bank for a fat loan ;)

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
Forum standards require the use of a quarter for size comparison (right Peaty?).
You owe us $.23!

Bummer.

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Boca_Yid said:
You owe us $.23!
i don't think i can afford it :(
can you put me on a payment plan?

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
Nah, just post a pic of $.23 and we'll call it even.
He's already in the hole. Let's not rub salt.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
foresterxtguy said:
thats 23 cents to every member right?
No, thats 23 cents from every member towards his rebuild.:bigok:

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boca_Yid said:
Nah, just post a pic of $.23 and we'll call it even.
He's already in the hole. Let's not rub salt.

but i want change,
thanks for all the posts guys. i'm probably gonna get a sweet gearset put in so it won't be all bad. just wish i could afford a dogbox ;)
SuperRü said:
No, thats 23 cents from every member towards his rebuild.:bigok:
i like this idea much much better
so there are 1861 member so thats $428.03, thats a start ;)

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
Obviously there was too much copper in the tranny fluid :(

Bummer that sux, hope you get it sorted out soon...

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so i'm either going with heilical cut ppg gears or straight cut 1st and 2nd gear and stock rest of the gears, haven't really decided yet. the tranny is gonna be dropped on sunday and taken to andrewtech on monday and hopefully done by friday so i can put everything back together by next weekend.
wish me luck ;)

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so i pulled the transmission on sunday and dropped it off at andrewtech (www.gearboxtech.com is the website) on monday and is currently getting straight cut gears installed. i can wait, i am soooo anxious to get it back in the car and beat the hell out of 1st and 2nd some more, oh and the sound that the straight cuts are gonna make is gonna be glorious!! here are some more pics of the progress

·
Administrator
16,043 Posts
A big job you've got there! Wouldn't it be great to have a hoist at home :grin:

Hope it all goes well for the weekend re-fit.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts