Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just moved to L.A. from Detroit and left behind a really fantastic dealer/service department.

I'm in need of a new dealership here in So. Cal. I've heard bad things about the Santa Monica Subaru . . . how's the Sherman Oaks dealer? Its a little farther, but I'm willing to make the trek if the service is better.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Welcome to CA!! If you must use a dealership for service...I would choose South Coast Subaru...

Otherwise, Yimisport, and Suby Specialties are plenty qualified to perform any thing you need done.

·
Registered
2010 XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a warranty related issue (rough idle) that I need looked at. Otherwise, I avoid dealers like the plague.

I've got an appointment in Sherman Oaks . . . heard a couple decent things about them on NASIOC.

·
Registered
2010 XT
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far so good. All I went in for was first inspection and an oil change. They checked out the rough idle, and said nothing could be found (no surprise there) and it hasn't done anything like it since then. They didn't treat me like an idiot though who was off their rocker when I said I observed a problem that they couldn't find.

The staff were friendly, etc. and service was quick. We'll wait to see how they operate if/when I have to make an actual warranty claim.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
1 Posts
I just bought a Forester from Bob Baker Subaru in the Long Beach area. It is an hour's drive for me, but worth every minute. They are a pleasure to work with. My Forester is 2 months old now and I just returned to Bob Baker Subaru for some things I needed done to it. I received the same excellent service yesterday as I did when I bought my car.

I would highly recommend Bob Baker Subaru @ 5500 Paseo Del Norte, Carlsbad, CA 92008

Their phone numbers are:
* Sales: (760) 438-2200.....Ask for Billy Toolen!
* Service: (760) 804-5034.....Ask for Bobby Reynolds.
* Parts: (760) 804-5027

Finance: ask for John
Mechanic: ask for Jose

Good luck! Tell them Willow with the 2010 Sage Green Forester with the brake problem sent you. ;D

2007 XT Sports Manual
6,407 Posts
Welcome! Where in Michigan did you live?

I grew up in Troy and now live in Huntington Beach.

As for dealers, I purchased my 07 XT from Timmons Subaru in Long Beach but always go to South Coast Subaru for parts, service, info.

Definitely check out HB Speed (Fountain Valley) off the 405s and Ellis Exit.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
I just moved to L.A. from Detroit and left behind a really fantastic dealer/service department.

I'm in need of a new dealership here in So. Cal. I've heard bad things about the Santa Monica Subaru . . . how's the Sherman Oaks dealer? Its a little farther, but I'm willing to make the trek if the service is better.

Thanks!
Santa Monica Subaru has terrorists working as wrench monkeys there - NEVER under any circumstance take your car there for ANY SERVICE whatsoever. Their BOXCUTTER-WIELDING f-ups are famous for cutting large holes in splash shields because they are too LAZY to take the splash shield off properly.

:chair::evilatyou::catfight::yell::mob:

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
^^Don't worry Greg..I think SMS is off the radar for most locals. IIRC, they might have closed shop. I don't get that deep in the LA concrete jungle anymore...but rest assured, most locals use SCS or Irvine for new cars and factory maintenance items.

We could go on for days about the recent specialty shops, accessport licenses, and general fab shops that will take care of you...but people seem to trust dealerships for some reason especially when it comes to basic oil changes.

I feel a "where to get worked on" or "local shop list" would be beneficial and qualify as a regional sticky.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5X Prem.
46 Posts
Been taking our car to Timmons Subaru in Long Beach since moving out from Chicago in 2008. Haven't been all that impressed with their 'bed side manner' but they appeared to do a decent job. No service on Saturday was a PITA and their prices were pretty high. Never impressed with it taking 1-2 hours for an oil change.

Found out this week Glendale now has a dealership and just opened up their service center a few months back. Battery was dead on our '08 and they were a pleasure to deal with for the hour we were there.

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
Stay away from Renick Subaru-Fullerton

Take what Roo said above and apply it to Renick. The service department has too many liars. They break things and deny it. The don't follow Subaru's recommended fluids. I would not go back for free service. The salesmen...YOU have to seek them out.

Subie Specialties in Monrovia is great. Honest and fair. Never had a problem there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts