Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X manual
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot express how grateful I am to Subaru for making awesome vehicles. During the recent "Great Snow Storm of 2014" in Birmingham, AL, I was able to make it up over the hills, through masses of abandoned cars, and even carve my own paths off road to get around obstacles. :icon_wink: I don't imagine with any other vehicle I could have made it home that easily. Thanks Subaru!

·
Registered
2009 Forester Auto
169 Posts
That's what I'm talking about! If all of Atlanta wasn't a sheet of ice I would have been testing my cars limits as well. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
2019 Forester, Touring CVT
168 Posts
I was able to get out and drive around the neighborhood a few times in my Forester. I wanted to use this chance to get a feel for how it would handle on hills with snow and ice. I actually stopped on slopes and tried to force it to spin but nothing. It handled every hill I tried. There were a few really steep ones that I avoided because the local kids were using it as a sled run. Plus I did not want to risk going down and not getting back out. They already had several cars parked along the top so I did not want to be the one parked at the bottom. I did not venture out of the subdivision as the main road there was a parking lot. I was very impressed with the way the vehicle handled. Now maybe when we get our next snow in 3 years I will be a little adventurous.

·
Registered
2001 Sorta Frush Forester 4EAT
1,779 Posts
i find it pretty funny how nearly everyone down south just gave up :p snow driving isnt bad just go slow and keep a distance between people :)

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS 4EAT (sob)
431 Posts
i find it pretty funny how nearly everyone down south just gave up :p snow driving isnt bad just go slow and keep a distance between people :)
Lol I know. :biggrin: But if you don't get snow every winter, it can mess you up quite easily. This is my first winter driving alone, and, God, were the first few days ever tough!

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X manual
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I lived in Illinois for 20 years before coming to Alabama and I've never quite seen 2 inches of snow devastate a city. 5 inches fell just the other day and thankfully it happened overnight so very few people were on the road! Still, abandoned vehicles everywhere... Reminds me of The Walking Dead.

·
Just a member
03 XS AUTO
847 Posts
If snow falls in Texas, I dont want people driving on it. Think of all the 20 somethings that have never driven on snow or ice. Then you have the people in the big 4x4s that think they can stop better than the rest of us. We seem to get ice, or snow, about every 11 years. There are people in cars today that dont ever recall seeing it before. Unprepared and unable to properly use their brains, most people around me shouldnt be on the road in ice.

·
Premium Member
2013 Forester XT 4EAT
1,630 Posts
If snow falls in Texas, I dont want people driving on it. Think of all the 20 somethings that have never driven on snow or ice. Then you have the people in the big 4x4s that think they can stop better than the rest of us. We seem to get ice, or snow, about every 11 years. There are people in cars today that dont ever recall seeing it before. Unprepared and unable to properly use their brains, most people around me shouldnt be on the road in ice.
Agreed.
If the roads are bad, im not worried if I am able to get to work due to road conditions, im worried about someone hitting me...
People here have no idea how to drive in that kind of weather... and I wish they would just stay home!

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i 6 spd
433 Posts
Not in the deep south, but last night I had my first regret about buying the '14Forester....or at least long term loaning my 4x4 pickup to my younger son. I got home and discovered the DOT gifted me with a 2 foot wall of packed snow across my driveway. In my ole 'Yota, I'd have selected low range and driven through.

I did get one grin. While digging the driveway out, 2 jacked up pickups rumbled past, no doubt sneering at the SUV waiting for me to finish. One of them ended up in the ditch about 150 yards down the road :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts