Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just plowed through a huge snowdrift, and after I landed, the alternator seemed to not be charging. The lights were dimmed, wipers slow, etc., After I revved it up, it charged back up again and has been fine since. I had a friend who had a similar experience. He hit a smaller drift in his minivan, and the alt. light came on. It has functioned fine since though. I checked under the hood and everything seems fine. Should I get it looked at? Does the momentary blast of snow short it out for a few seconds or something?

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,909 Posts
Just plowed through a huge snowdrift, and after I landed, the alternator seemed to not be charging... Does the momentary blast of snow short it out for a few seconds or something?
The snow got under the accessory belt and caused it to slip. It sounds like your Forester has had its protective plastic undertray removed, or never had one if its a NA '09.

Back in '79 I went plowing through drifts one night in a VW Rabbit with studded snow tires on the front. After an hour the engine just quit. I raised the hood and could only see the tops of the hoses - the compartment was filled with snow to the top. The next day the car was towed to a shop that found the snow had packed under the toothed timing belt and caused it to jump enough cogs to stop the engine.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Who cares about the alternator hiccups, did you get it on video? That would be cool looking as he11, busting through a drift (as long as there'snot a parked car under it...)

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
I agree that the snow could come up if you don't have any plate under the car. and I also agree that pics of the snow drift would be alot more interesting :biggrin:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sure would have taken pics, if I wasn't busy changing my underwear. I've never been in a car that's gone airborne like that before. Luckily, it was a long drift, and I landed in the snow again and momentum carried me through. If I would have hit the road, things may have gone differently.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah I was going 60 MPH at the time on a closed Nebraska highway. Not too smart in retrospect, as I could have rolled it just as easily and died with no one around. I'm sure it did look cool as hell though.

·
Registered
10 XT 4EAT
887 Posts
if enough snow hit the alternator and melted, it can short it. Happened to me lots with my 77 Nova, the fan kicked up so much dust/snow things would get covered. Once dried out it would be fine again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts