Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went up to Tahoe for a day, left last night and got back tonight. Snowboarded at Heavenly today -- it was awesome. Not many people, lots of powder, great day.

We went up in my buddy's '07 STi. I am now considering trading my FXT in for an '09 or '10 STi -- I need the extra room for the dog, earlier models won't work for me. I want the torsens and DCCD, and everything else that comes with the STi is a plus. What to do.. :icon_confused:

Stan

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sigh.. I know, 6-speed swap.. we were talking about that. What's the story with DCCD on our cars? My buddy says nobody has reverse-engineered it yet?

STi is so nice with it's sporty interior and such.. stupid STi.

Stan

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
^^ After test driving one........I'm absolutely in love with it. It's comfortable, quick and all the diff and throttle control toys are fun to play with. :biggrin:

But then I think about how much fun and joy my Foz brings me when I get the disapproving looks from the big, lifted off-road trucks when I can get up the same hill they just barely managed to get up.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,519 Posts
STi is so nice with it's sporty interior and such.. stupid STi.

Stan
LOL. You sound like a guy trying to decide between two beautiful girls. One really nice, playful brunette with a great figure (STI)... One slightly less hot (but still stunning) redhead, with killer eyes, an devilish mind, and a heart of gold (who you already love) (FXT).

Don't ask me how I came up with that.

(uuuuurg... redheads... they always get me...)

I say, stick with what you have. Swap. With an STi, you're just jumping on the bandwagon. lol

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
STi is a more capable car, period. With the release of a 5-door STi, it became more practical, too. Swap is okay but I'm not sure it can ever act as-designed due to DCCD not being meant to work on our cars. Plus, with the cost of the swap I'm pretty close to STi price territory.

Sigh, if I had lots of moneis, this would be a non-issue and I'd own both.

Stan

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
One thing people dont realize too is that the new STIs can fit more in back than the SG Foresters being wider and roughly the same length.
Well.. I guess the headroom isn't as good though..

Insurance though Stan.. insurance..

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
STi is a more capable car, period. With the release of a 5-door STi, it became more practical, too. Swap is okay but I'm not sure it can ever act as-designed due to DCCD not being meant to work on our cars. Plus, with the cost of the swap I'm pretty close to STi price territory.

Sigh, if I had lots of moneis, this would be a non-issue and I'd own both.

Stan
People get the DCCD to work just fine is swaps.

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Insurance cost is something to consider, not sure how much more expensive it'd be. Probably not too much though.

How do people get the DCCD to work, by using an aftermarket unit? DCCD is the biggest reason I'd want and STi, not sure how well the aftermarket units work and how much they can be trusted.

Stan

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,519 Posts
Insurance cost is something to consider, not sure how much more expensive it'd be. Probably not too much though.

Stan

I'd ask your friend what his rates are.

Last time I read the WRX STI was the #1 worst vehicle to insure in the US, Evo was #3. Forester wasn't even on the list. :lol: I'll try to find it, I think I posted it on the boards somewhere.

My dad's '07 BMW ///M Coupe is much cheaper to insure than a STI would be for him (he's been considering one, but that is the main deterrent).

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll ask. He's 5 years younger than I am, being 34 helps with insurance rates.

He is paying alot more a month for it than I am though, I know that for sure. That payment is the main deterrent for me. I would so rock the limited edition one though, they will be in dealerships in less than a month.

Stan

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Right, the average cost I've seen from NASIOC is about $300/mo. But you are 34, and probably with a much, MUCH better record than most on NASIOC, so you are probably looking at less.

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I currently pay $550/6 months for the FXT (full coverage) and the Miata (liability) right now, just as a reference.

Stan

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
Insurance is a killer on an STI. For me (34, married, good credit, clean record) it is $52 a month for my XT, but it would be $140 a month for an STi. That is a BIG difference.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Hmm.. that $300/mo figure sounds pretty high then.

Ok I guess these guys have had 2-3 tickets in the past few years. So it should range from about $1.5k-$2k a year, and probably more like ~$800/yr for your age and a stellar record.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts