Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since they passed the law here you need to completely clean your car off i had to get something to make it easy, This works great its real soft foam and wont scratch the paint that why I got it. Well that and after I saw my wife using a snow shovel on the roof of her car :huh: lol

·
Registered
2014 CVT
824 Posts
Since they passed the law here you need to completely clean your car off i had to get something to make it easy, This works great its real soft foam and wont scratch the paint that why I got it. Well that and after I saw my wife using a snow shovel on the roof of her car :huh: lol
a kid i know back home did that.........he had some ice and hard snow on his rear windshield............so he pulls a shovel he has incase he gets stuck and chipped it right off.......silly honda kids

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,064 Posts
A 24" sweeper brush (with handle). Can't beet it
Me too, though the one I use never touches the ground.

The foam snow rakes work great too, they don't scratch the paint unless you let them hit the ground and they pick up some dirt. Most car lots use these.

·
Registered
01 Forester S
129 Posts
I gotta get one of those. I work at a used car place that specializes in used cop cars. I have 40 cars to clear off tomorrow but don't think theres much point. They are predicting more snow on tuesday and wednesday.

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,123 Posts
I bet a lot of people don't like that law and I wish we had it here in IL. Every time it snows I see cars that don't even touch the back window or the lights! I'm sure they wonder why they got into an accident too! I have a garage, but if it's snowing while I'm at work I use my snow brush very lightly and clean off the entire car.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
I have a Craftsman shop vac with a detachable 265 mph blower. That, attached to the 2" nozzle attachment works very well to blow the snow off the car and driveway. Worked surprisingly well for the one time I've used it. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1999 Forester S Automatic
426 Posts
I bet a lot of people don't like that law and I wish we had it here in IL. Every time it snows I see cars that don't even touch the back window or the lights! I'm sure they wonder why they got into an accident too! I have a garage, but if it's snowing while I'm at work I use my snow brush very lightly and clean off the entire car.
I hear ya man!!! I was just getting ready to say that!! I live in Peoria and it ticks me off at the morons that barely have a hole to see out of. :mob:
I mean if you want to get wiped out in a wreck, more power to ya...but we all have to be on the road with you! We're supposed to get up to 9 inches today and I can just imagine the cars I'll see in the morning!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm also in Illinois (McHenry (City of as well as county)). So I'm way up North....

I clean the entire car with my snow brush, pay special attention to the head, tail, marker lights, and your glass - all of it.

It's a habit I developed when one of my lawyer friends told me it's what he did. It shows you were "prepared to the best of your abilities" to drive in inclement weather (quotes as close as I can remember from 25 years ago).

By clearing the snow from the car, you exercise attention to not creating further hazard (snow coming off your car blinding the other driver) and mitigating risk (increasing your ability to see by clearing windows and headlights, increasing your visibility to others by clearing headlights and marker lights).

So if you get whanged by another driver and they *didn't* take the same precautions, make sure the officer writing the report notes these facts as an observation. It "can't hurt and might help".

If you whang someone else, get a good lawyer. Clearing your stuff off ahead of time isn't going to help here.

Stay safe out there!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts