Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my Michelin Premiers soon (lots of premature wear on the tires), not even 60k miles on them yet but they are half way worn. So looking to replace them soon, I'm torn between Ko2's vs Michelin Premiers (again since they are rated well for the snow/rain when they still have tread on them lol) vs Goodyear WeatheReady's. I saw on tirerack that they did a comparison of A/T tires vs A/S tires and they found A/S tires to be better in snow/rain. Has this been everyone experience? It's odd, I figured with the more aggressive tread pattern that the A/T would have better grip.

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
270 Posts
Really depends on the specific snow conditions. In a few inches of slush-6" of fresh snow a KO2 will outperform an all season as the deep lugs made to cut through mud will do the same in soft snow. On hardpacked snow they will perform similarly. When temps drop significantly the all-season could perform slightly better, that really depends on the compound of that specific tire. The limitation on all AT and AS tires compared to snow/winter tires is the temperatures the compound is formulated for.

Long term I think the KO2 would retain its winter performance for more miles than an all-season. I see work trucks running the BFG KO2 all winter up here where the valley floor is 7400 ft, some of them are worn down pretty good and still on the road (aka not getting stuck at every turn) but they are also notoriously difficult to keep in balance and loud.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
279 Posts
Out stock 2017 FXT with OEM all seasons was able to get around just fine in 2 ft of untouched snow and then the subsequent ice and then slush. I can however say that my older FXT with Continental extremecontact DWS tires pushed through the same snow, but with 10in less ground clearance with no problem. I've been very happy with the performance of these tires (year round), and the Michelin are newer and have a s lightly better rating, so I cannot imagine they'd be much different.

Ultimately though, it comes down to the type of snow you regularly see as asphaltaddict33 said. If you are mostly street driving, i'd think the Michelin would do you just fine.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Premium 2.5 CVT
111 Posts
Your '17 FXT must be raised very high for another Forester to have 10" less ground clearance! No way would I try driving my '18 (stock) Forester in 24" of snow, even with the severe winter weather tires it has on.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,350 Posts
Looking to replace my Michelin Premiers soon (lots of premature wear on the tires), not even 60k miles on them yet but they are half way worn.
I would not consider half worn tread at 60k miles to be premature wear. Quite the contrary.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
256 Posts
The KO2s are considered all season and actually meet the requirements to have the mountain snowflake symbol. That's a higher rating than just mid and snow or even all season.

·
Registered
2014 F-XT CVT
217 Posts
couple weeks ago we're in Mammoth and the temps were 8F Low / 15F High. i had my Blizzaks on but i talked to 1 Land Cruiser owner who had new K02's on he said there were no problems. roads were coated in hard ice and always seem to have a 1-3 coating of dry powder the whole time we're there because the snow just didn't stop falling. i also saw other vehicles with K02's they seemed to managing fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts