Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you jump all over me, I suspect the problem is the stock Dueler H/T's I'm running not the AWD system.

The all wheel drive works fine, but the car doesn't stop well or turn well. I used to drive a VW Jetta and I had dedicated snow tires for it (Winterforce). I think it stopped and turned better than my 09 Forester.

I'm not complaining, just pointing out the obvious fact that no matter what you drive having the right tires is important.

Unfortunately the Duelers have plenty of tread left so it looks like I'll be running them for quite a while yet...

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Good observation, I too have had issues with OEM supplied tires. I've got to tell you that it might be the best move for you and your Subie is to pick up some dedicated snows and rims for next year. Then you'll really be amazed with your vehicle.

Drive safely and enjoy.

·
Registered
09 Forester X touring
66 Posts
While there stock duelers may not turn or stop the best in the cold (like most all seasons) I have personally went through 2 plus feet of snow on those tires on many occasions, so they can handle the snow fine. If you plan on running them for rest rest for the winter just remember to give lots of braking room and turning space.

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
634 Posts
yeah the OEM tires don't do too well in the slop. So you just have to drive different..Can't wait for real snow tires and wheels that I can just pop on and off before the stuff hits..Take it Easy!!

·
Registered
2010 2.0 X 5MT on LPG
93 Posts
+1

Exact same problem, exact same tyres

I am still deciding weather to go with two sets of tyres (winter/summer) or only one set , but with better all season tyre.
In my opinion, dueler is not a winter tyre(obviously) but not either good summer tyre.
I'll probably wait until duelers are gone and than decide

·
Registered
173 Posts
Comparing to a car with dedicated snows isn't fair play. AWD lets you overpower 4 mediocre or crappy tires in the wet stuff instead of just 2. :icon_rolleyes:

I threw a set of General Altimax HPs on my '01 a couple months back and was pleasantly surprised for my money (I've been driving for about 30 years and have all manner of tires on all manner of cars). They stick well in snow (not like a dedicated snow would) and they are pretty quiet and make for a very comfortable ride. The treadwear rating isn't the best so I'll reserve my final judgement on them for a while.

I would not buy them if there was any kind of camping trail or off-road activity involved - sidewall is a bit thin for that (like most high-performance touring tires). But my Foz is a commuter scooter/Labrador to the park sort of transport.

I was playing in a local parking lot this morning on the two inches of snow we've gotten so far (I just got done replacing my rear LSD this weekend) and had a hard time getting them to break loose. :raspberry:

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
You need to change the thread title to say "I'm a little disappointed in my tires".

I do a LOT of snow driving, and the Subaru AWD system if fantastic in the snow with snow tires. Any car is only as good as the tires on it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
As other said, tires. I will chip in though and say they 01 Golf I had a few years back was by far the best FWD winter car (with winter tires) I've even driven though. So coming from the Jetta w/ winters you would have high expectations I'd think. Get some winters on that Foz!

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
One other thing, and I'm not sure how much experience you have with AWD-equipped vehicles, but turning in the slop also requires that you keep at least a little power applied to the wheels else the AWD isn't going to do its job well. If you're coasting or braking through a corner then it won't be much better than any other drivetrain.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
Before you jump all over me, I suspect the problem is the stock Dueler H/T's I'm running not the AWD system.

The all wheel drive works fine, but the car doesn't stop well or turn well. I used to drive a VW Jetta and I had dedicated snow tires for it (Winterforce). I think it stopped and turned better than my 09 Forester.

I'm not complaining, just pointing out the obvious fact that no matter what you drive having the right tires is important.

Unfortunately the Duelers have plenty of tread left so it looks like I'll be running them for quite a while yet...
Bingo.

You've hit the nail on the head - you're not noticing much problems with acceleration because the car has traction to spare when it comes to getting you going forward, thanks to the AWD and the tread that's still on your tires.

But when it comes time to stop and turn, that's where having the right tires for the right condition will come into play.

Yes, the Winterforce is a lowly-rated winter tire, no matter which way you cut it.

Yes, that old VW of yours certainly shouldn't have had that much advantage over your AWD Forester, in the white stuff.

But I'd well bet that, if you could clone yourself and drive both cars at the same time, in your conditions, that in the Winterforce equipped VW, you'd drive circles around the Forester. :icon_wink: :smile:

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R 5EAT
70 Posts
Definitely get some new tires. Stock are always horrible in the snow. Their purpose is lifetime and comfort. You'll be amazed at what AWD and snow tires are capable of.

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5X
25 Posts
+1 for tires. Used to slip just coming up my driveway in "all-season" Yoko's. Swapped in some Continental Extreme Winter Contacts in the OEM 16" size and I can get almost anywhere in the white stuff.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT Sport
3,082 Posts
My geo-squealers sucked. Now running Kumo Ecsta ASX's and they do great. Although now I need another one and can't find them. blah. Husband is running Pilot Sport Cups, which are NOT snow tires, and they're still better than stockers.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
The Bridgestone Duelers are pretty scary in snow. The Subie will move forward alright, but cornering and stopping ability is poor. In fact stopping ability was pretty horrible for me. I was able to get a set of winter tires (altimax arctic) and the difference is night and day. You owe it to yourself to buy a set of winter rubber to bring out the snow-driving capabilites of the Forester. Check craigslist often, I was able to get a lightly used set reasonable. Good luck,
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
I had the same issue. Couldnt beleive how bad the car drove in the snow and how "overactive" the TCS was. Then i drove my Yaris with winterforce tires (these are GREAT winter tires for the money and great tires all around!) an hour later and had ZERO problems. The stockers are junk in the snow and slush. Fuji has to source better all-season tires for cars sold in the snow belt. PERIOD.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More questions about AWD in the Cinti snow

OK, yesterday I posted about how junkie the stock tires are in snow. Nuff said about that :icon_razz:

Here is my next observation, note this is my first AWD vehicle I've always had FWD in the past.

I was surprised to find that if I give it some gas in the middle of a turn the rear end brakes loose and will spin around on me FAST !!! I was just messing around at slow speeds when other cars weren't around, but this puppy will come around on you right now. It seemed clear to me that the front wheels were not spinning at all while the rear wheels were spinning out of control. That really surprises me for a couple of reasons:

1) I have read on this forum that there is a bias of power to the front wheels (90/10 or 60/40 depending on what you read) so for that reason I would have expected the front wheels to brake loose before the rears.

2) When the rear wheels brake loose I would have expected the center diff to lock up and either stop the rears from spinning, or at least force a front wheel to spin also.

3) TCS or VDC didn't seem to come on, although I was going very slow, so maybe that was the reason.

Any thoughts on my questions ?? If it's important I did have the tranny in sportshift mode (just thought about that).

On the plus side, when I got home the snow plows left a 2 foot pile in front of my driveway and I drove right through it, couldn't have done that before !!

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,253 Posts
Any vehicle will spin our once centrifugal force overcomes the friction of the tires. When that happens the dynamic coefficient of friction is less than the previous static coefficient of friction. No system can overcome the laws of physics. Its a matter of knowing the limits of the vehicle.

I have not spun out one time with my 08...but then again I drive with a factor of safety in mind.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts