Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving through my local village this morning just after 7 this morning. A builders type van was half on the pavement/road as I drove round it I noticed it was a Plod Camera Van. I have a camera in the car and checked it when I got home. I was doing 34 in a 30. Are they allowed to park like that? I understand 34 is 34 and I will get the letter in the post soon. Can you challenge them for obstructing the pavement/highway or do you think I should just pay the fine ? Cheers Alan

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,570 Posts
I've been caught doing 34 in the past. The sneaky camera was placed at the exit of a blind bend just hundred yards before the end of speed limit 30 / end of village.
If you are lucky and are given the option to attend a speed awareness course go for it.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,262 Posts
I think like fpan said you will be offered a speed awareness course if you have an otherwise clean licence . If you don't see anything in the post within a week your pretty much in the clear.

You never know they may have been eating donuts and not filming .

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,964 Posts
Also, depending on the force, you might get lucky and have a 10% + 2mph tolerance applied so get away with it.

It's hardly the speed offence of the century!

As for sneaky, worst one I saw like that was in a convoy on my way to the Goodwood Festivalof Speed. Went from NSL to a 30mph limit, then back to NSL as there's a village green by the road... the van was set just perfectly to mean loads of people wouldn't have slowed enough.

They're technically in the right, but it felt aggressive to me.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers everyone for your replies. I think I will have to keep my eyes on the post box for the next week or two . Bit miffed as it was sneaky and there was only he and I on the road. Will keep you posted. ATVB Alan

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTE 5 speed manual
284 Posts
I think like fpan said you will be offered a speed awareness course if you have an otherwise clean licence . If you don't see anything in the post within a week your pretty much in the clear.

You never know they may have been eating donuts and not filming .
I heard that, with suitable training, they are now able to eat donuts AND film at the same time. Sneaky b’stards.....

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,809 Posts
I don't believe those safety vans can park obstructing pavement or highway. Do you still have the footage? If you get a ticket and no awareness course offer, you might stand a chance in fighting it?

As I understand (which might vary by county) the vans have to be suitably marked up (Chevrons etc) with speed camera signs posted out before the van's location to warn you

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,262 Posts
This is good chat (not for Alan obvs )but ive often thought about posting up the positions of these winkle picking mobile speed reducers in the south east , but thought better of it as it might be frowned upon .
But it does annoy me that these imposed speed limits are at least 20yrs out of date particularly the 70mph motorway one which is designed for people running drum brakes...….. still.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,809 Posts
I agree Lockheed but I can't see the speed limits being raised when commercial vehicles are limited to 56Mph. the difference would be huge for them trying to join motorways etc..... Unless those limits were raised too - Which would upset Euroland as they imposed the 90Km/Hr in the first place for them.

The in town and country road limits could easily be raised and still give comparable stopping distances to back in the 80s when they were introduced if the road designers did their bit (And Philip didn't pull out in front of commoners)

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,964 Posts
They don't have to be marked up as far as I'm awarr. They tend to be to "play fair", but there's no law requiring it, I don't believe.

Obstructing the road is a bit odd as they're potentially doing more harm than good.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XTE 5 speed manual
284 Posts
I agree Lockheed but I can't see the speed limits being raised when commercial vehicles are limited to 56Mph. the difference would be huge for them trying to join motorways etc..... Unless those limits were raised too - Which would upset Euroland as they imposed the 90Km/Hr in the first place for them.

The in town and country road limits could easily be raised and still give comparable stopping distances to back in the 80s when they were introduced if the road designers did their bit (And Philip didn't pull out in front of commoners)
Maybe Philip misunderstood the term "right of way over commons". Easy mistake to make :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers for the replies. I have visited the scene of the crime today in day light. Where he was parked, had a cut out of a child ( it’s near a school) saying please don’t block the pavement. It’s a pavement model trying to get the parents at school time not to park as they were. I have looked at the film again and they had no lights on. I have it on film unfortunately, it also shows my speed as being 34! 😱

·
Registered
2005 Forester STI Manual
140 Posts
HTML:
HTML:
Cheers for the replies. I have visited the scene of the crime today in day light. Where he was parked, had a cut out of a child ( it’s near a school) saying please don’t block the pavement. It’s a pavement model trying to get the parents at school time not to park as they were. I have looked at the film again and they had no lights on. I have it on film unfortunately, it also shows my speed as being 34! 😱
You could, of course, make a point of reporting it to the local plod yourself - providing zoomed in images that conveniently omit the recorded speed is optional.
Perhaps view it as "if they persist in making an example of me, I'll make an example of them" - a bit of cage-rattling or drum-banging doesn't usually hurt.

Of course, that might not be in your nature, and credit to you for holding up your hands and being prepared to take your licks; but if they were questionably positioned (morally, if not legally), it should be raised.

I remember an admittedly unrelated case from a few years back where a police van was photographed, parked up outside a newsagents shop - the passer-by noticed it had bald tyres, and no MOT.
In short: they reported it to the local station, who dismissed the story; they contacted a tabloid who ran with it, and then the police very quickly attempted to defend themselves publicly by saying it was on its way to the tester for its MOT that very day.

All very well, except that we all know that the rules state you can only drive MOT-less as long as you are taking the vehicle to a pre-booked MOT test, and without any diversion en route.

Those who enforce the rules should, by and large, be bound by the same rules they are tasked with enforcing.

·
Registered
2004 STi
201 Posts
Ah @TMX you made me laugh hard …… prince Philip pmsl
But on a more serious note they manage ok in Germany
The main issue is the average person in the UK can't drive for *****, they manage to run into each other and do stupid things even where the limits are now. Raising them would have more idiots crashing into the minority of us that enjoy driving, and can drive properly. I don't drive everyday, maybe once a week. Literally the last time I drove my car in the past two weeks some Prince Phillip wannabe pulled out from a side road with full clear view of my big blue Scoob, I'd dropped my speed anyway as they are coming out from an industrial estate and this does happen but damn they left it very late.

The reason autobahns work is lane discipline, if your moving faster most Germans pull in for you if they aren't already, in the UK this sometimes happens but more often than not you can wait 2-3 minutes without tailgating and they don't even see you, then there is the handful of times that you make the mistake of flashing your lights to make them aware of your presence and the persons intelligence and driving skill drops 98% and their ego increases 102% and its either "I'm staying here at under the limit and not letting you past", brake test or shouting at the mirror and gesticulating even when, outside the safety of a car they are probably passive little men.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,809 Posts
I have looked at the film again and they had no lights on. I have it on film unfortunately, it also shows my speed as being 34! 😱
Was it filmed on a Nexbase by chance? they have a video editor app thingy you can download for free and edit video, including removing the speed shown in the video footage- Maybe it would work for footage from other cameras too ?

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its recorded om a Mi Vue Camera.

Just checked the post and nothing from Plod so far, its a week tomorrow.

I replayed the tape and noticed the window was not open.

Read on a couple of sites that if its not open they aren't recording.

Something to do with glass refection and it was raining lightly.

Unfortunately, I have also read on sites of folk getting the letter with the windows closed.

Hopefully, I'm going to have luck on my side and perhaps, as mentioned earlier on, t was Coffee and Doughnut time.

BTW I agree about about dreadful drivers.

Friday was a nightmare folk pulling out on you as you are virtually on top of them.

One "lovely White Van man" made my day.

He pulled out in front of me whilst I was coming around a roundabout. I braked hard to miss him and blew the horn.

He then stopped the van on the roundabout screaming like a Banshee.

I drove round him and carried on and I could hear horns being exchanged in the distance.

Since last Sunday I have been driving like I was driving Miss Daisy and it seems to have invited a lot of folk who are waiting at junctions pull out on me.

My mate says on Fridays, he notices the pretty normal rubbish standard of driving, drops to a new level of rubbish driving. Thanks for all the replies appreciate it. ATVB. Alan

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just 2 days to go now sweating on the 2 week limit its up this Sunday. Fingers still crossed. And thanks for the replies and as usual, quality points made.

ATVB.

Alan

1 - 20 of 28 Posts