Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT 6spd/8spd/Many Gears CVT
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow SH Chassis Owners! We have finalized up our own coilover system for the SH Chassis We have been working on these for quite some time and have finally gotten them to where we are happy with the setup, how it handles, rides, and looks. :) These are not like others who use the same valving with a different bracket or Impreza shocks. The valving and shock casing designs are specifically for the Forester.

Here is a peek at what our system looks like. Yes it does retain the use of your factory top hats. Why you may ask? Answer is simple. The stock top hats keep the car much quieter and comfortable for daily driving.

Swift Coilover springs are used on our system. Prototype images are shown and will be much more complete once in production. Camber plates are available as an option but we do not recommend them for daily driving as it can be quite harsh.

Price: 2499USD, Taking pre-orders on them NOW!

Specs:
Manufactured by AST Suspension
Shocks are adjustable one-ways with 12-distinct points of adjustment.
Adjustment knobs are included
Front Spring rate - 7kg/mm
Rear Spring rate - 5kg/mm
Note: We can go softer or firmer as well. But these are our recommended spring rates for this chassis.

Prototype image shown with top hats mounted.

Image shown with the suspension installed on our 2011 FXT. Can the car go lower? Yes it can. :)

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do not fear SG Chassis owners! We are working on something for you guys as well! Still in the development stages right now! Just bare with us on them. :)

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gary, you rock!! :banana:
Thanks! :) I am working to get SG ones finished as I know that there are really not very many good options out there and I know that since our Impreza line has been doing well. We figured it was a good idea to move onto the Foresters. Will post up some images once I get the setup where I feel they are good. :)

Gary

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW the xt looks amazing at that heighth, what difference a inch and some fractions can make
Most definitely. The FXT handles much better and is much more stable in the corners even without any swaybars or bushings at the moment. Ride quality is a touch firmer but it is not unbearable for daily driving and I do not have it set at the softest setting so I can go softer if needed. ;)

Thanks,
Gary

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,791 Posts
Those look great, I run SWIFT coilover springs on my setup as well and they are top rate. Gary, if you need to do some real winter weather conditions testing on the SG set you are developing I'd be glad to put them through the paces this winter, provide detailed feedback and return then when done.

Will the SG set be 1 or 2 way adjustable ?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
whats the total drop from stock?
Drop will vary depending on how you set the height. I set mine at around 1.5inch drop all the way around. I am still playing around with the height a bit, but I am very happy with it where it is right now. I might drop the front a bit more and raise the rear a touch more.

It will vary a bit from car to car. But you will have the ability to set it how you wish.

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those look great, I run SWIFT coilover springs on my setup as well and they are top rate. Gary, if you need to do some real winter weather conditions testing on the SG set you are developing I'd be glad to put them through the paces this winter, provide detailed feedback and return then when done.

Will the SG set be 1 or 2 way adjustable ?
We have already done some winter testing on the coatings and feel in the winter already in Europe. Definitely appreciate the offer though. :)

They will be 1-way adjustable shocks. 22mm Mono-tube and fully serviceable. SG setup will use your stock top hats as well. The same spring we use on our Impreza GD kits is what we are going to be using on our SG kits. So we will be sure that a quiet ride is maintained and still make it comfortable.

We have the ability to service and rebuild the shocks here locally. But so far I am confident in the longevity and quality of everything as we have sets that have gone for almost 3-years, about 40k miles(including couple of track days a year) on our Impreza kits, took them apart and everything was fine. We just reassembled without doing any servicing and put them back out. :)

Quality and durability are what I look for and what I strive as I know most owners will keep there cars for quite sometime, we want our products to last!

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
2005 STi
390 Posts
Wow, these look great Gary. I'm happy to see you finally moving from prototype to production. The SH NEEDS better dampers. Unfortunately, I think these are out of my budget. Any plans to offer a fixed perch strut in the future? I could care less about adjustability and this is clearly not a track car.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, these look great Gary. I'm happy to see you finally moving from prototype to production. The SH NEEDS better dampers. Unfortunately, I think these are out of my budget. Any plans to offer a fixed perch strut in the future? I could care less about adjustability and this is clearly not a track car.
We have many reasons why we have no plans doing a fixed perch strut.

1. Lack of spring options for something like a direct replacement. With our setup we can go softer or stiffer by changing out the spring rates. Also we can adjust the dampening better to accommodate people who want to have a different setups.

2. Where would be set the perch height to be at? stock? a touch lower? a touch higher? Yes, our system would be a bit lower than stock but the end user would be able to decide how high or low he/she wants to be at.

3. What to set the valving at with what springs? Swift? Stock? Again, gains are just too small to really justify making a fixed perch strut.

I did a lot of thinking about this before I decided to go this route. While we know that it is not the cheapest but we know that the quality of the components, construction, and parts is second to none. We also know the reliability of the system is good because the components internally are very similar to our Impreza kits. This kit was not designed for those who want a track car, but more for a fast road setup. Not saying that it cannot be used for track just the original intent.

I wanted to still maintain ground clearance while have more handling out of the car. I just wanted to make it such that the end user has more flexibility out of the system as everyone has his/her own feel that they want out of the car. I am sure that we have designed it such that it can accommodate not just one setting for a person but for someone who would want to get more out of it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do we preorder????
I want I want I want I want
You can just give us a call and we can put you down on our list. We would not charge you until the they are physically in our hands. :) We have 3 sets already sold.

Regards,
Gary

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice! What strut bodies/manufacturer are you using?
Strut bodies are made to our specifications so you can say they are our strut bodies. ;) The manufacturer is AST Suspension. They manufacture all of our coilover kits to our specification.

Gary

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice AST makes and valves amazing dampers, I'm using the TiC spec ones, and they rock!
You should see what our Impreza dampers can do. ;) Some of my Subie customers have asked us to do some setups for their other cars because they loved our setup on the Subies soo much.

Gary

1 - 20 of 72 Posts