Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not doing anything crazy, just rounding a corner at normal speed and bang. I think the reason was due to the mounting bracket not being greased well, as that is right where it snapped and I think the torque was too much.

I think I am going to replace with a stock or sti as I don't want to spend $150 where I can get basically the same (1mm less) for less than $50. (The Aftermarket bars came on the car when I bought it. I think they are Cusco or Cobb). I am not positive what the end links are. But I am guessing hotchkis.

Well on to what you really want to see... the pics!

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT (former)
2,485 Posts
Whoa! Greg, if you happen to make it down to Portland any time soon I have a FSB from an '04 STi I'd give you for free.
Alternatively, I'm actually coming up to Seattle at the end of Feb. and I could throw it in the back if you want.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whoa! Greg, if you happen to make it down to Portland any time soon I have a FSB from an '04 STi I'd give you for free.
Alternatively, I'm actually coming up to Seattle at the end of Feb. and I could throw it in the back if you want.
Thanks man. I would totally take you up on that. Ill see if I can get one local as I would love to fix it sooner, but I may take you up on that. I will be going to Bend on the 25th of Feb, and coming back March 1. I could either grab it them or when you come up. Ill let you know. Chris thinks he might have a line on a free or close to cheap one as well.

VERY much appreciated... +1 for greatest forum ever.

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT (former)
2,485 Posts
Well I will be in Seattle from the 27th-1st so I'd have to leave it with Chris or something if you're gone... or maybe we'll pass each other around Kalama? :lol:

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol, Ill ping you if I dont find something in the next week or two, I am sure we can figure something out.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
WOW!! Was there any creaking or popping? Lack of grease would have hopefully given you a warning....over torqueing would have snapped a bolt during install.

Seems to be a cusco or cobb..yikes.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was some creaking, but it sounded more like from the rear, which I will be greasing very soon.

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
do I see rust in the break, from about 5 to 9 o'clock? Seems like a crack's been there for a while.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
do I see rust in the break, from about 5 to 9 o'clock? Seems like a crack's been there for a while.
I noticed that as well.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
That's what happens when you jump your car! Did you PM Peter to see if he has one?

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,266 Posts
That looks like a Cobb front sway bar.They are blue & hollow...

joe r

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
An endlink forced beyond it's safe angle of deflection will put weird forces on the bar too. Are those links known good for Foz?

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I don't know if those end links are any good, they came on the car when I got it.

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
That looks like a Cobb FSB, the Cusco has a more pronounced kink between the bushings. I would at least send them the pictures. The links look like poltecs, whiteline, hotchkis, there were a few companies that had that adjustable spherical rod end style.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^ Send Cobb the pics?

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
^^ Send Cobb the pics?
Yes, send these or better pics to Cobb. The reason I say it's a Cobb is: end of the bar is stamped while the Cusco is welded, to my knowledge Cusco never made a hollow bar for Subarus or in general, the overall shape of the bar while I have seen pics of straighter Cusco bars all the ones I've seen in person have had the kink. Just measure the diameter of the bar, the Cobb is a 25mm while the biggest Cusco is 23mm IIRC.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
^^^It is the exact same color and look of my Cobb RSB, so you are probabaly right!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts