Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to get the infamous syncro click as I shift into 4th. Only happens when the tranny is fully warmed up. I'm considering using Shockproof lightweight as it has been recommended by a bunch of folks on this forum and Nabisco.

Does anybody know what the long term effects of this product are on Subaru 5 speeds? Has anybody experienced any tranny problems that could be attributed to this solution?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice.

RickH

·
Mr. January 2008
799 Posts
Dude, Andrewtech FTW!!!!

Seriously they’ll hook you up with the SP lightweight. That stuff is a miracle worker! It most cases, it will squash that syncro grind first time out. Granted it’s simply extending the life of what’s likely a failing syncro, but it works fantastic.

I’ve used it in all 5 of my built 5MT transmissions! FXT doesn’t have it yet but will definitely see it someday.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Click here for some good discussion on smurfblood, coctails, etc. Phil (BAC5.2) is a great resource on this stuff.

I've had the stuff in my XT for about 4 months now. Great product. My tranny didn't have issues before, but I can say it does feel a bit smoother now. The fluid is supposed to be changed every 30k I think, so this is a good product to use at these maintenance intervals.

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts
Lots of people use Scotty's cocktail. But keep in mind when you use it, some of the fluids are designed exactly for cars that aren't Subaru's.

I'd use a BAC75 mix. That's 25% Motul 75W90 (Gear300), and 70% Smurf Blood.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I use 2 qts. LW Shockproof and the rest Redline 75W-90. Works great. I can actually get the car into first at speed. Very useful on tight AutoX courses.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I found arguemnts presented by BAC5.2 (in other threads) quite convincing, and so I put 50/50 LW Shockproof / Motul mix in my "new" 98MY 70K tranny last month. Beside somewhat smoother shifting in low gears (might be placebo and/or learning curve, or just new oil), I found no noticeable improvements over whatever was in there before.

The 1st is still impossible to get into above 5 mph without over-revving 1-2K above the target rpm - so it is faster to double-clutch instead.

The shifts are still somewhat.... "crunchy". No grinding though.

And it is indeed slightly "notchy" when cold (I wonder what's going to happen when the temperature falls much below freezing).

I cannot say that I am disappointed, since I did not have any major issues before, and it works just fine so far. Given the feedback though, I'd still use the same (more Shockproof, probably) mix the next time.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I found arguemnts presented by BAC5.2 (in other threads) quite convincing, and so I put 50/50 LW Shockproof / Motul mix in my "new" 98MY 70K tranny last month. Beside somewhat smoother shifting in low gears (might be placebo and/or learning curve, or just new oil), I found no noticeable improvements over whatever was in there before.

The 1st is still impossible to get into above 5 mph without over-revving 1-2K above the target rpm - so it is faster to double-clutch instead.

The shifts are still somewhat.... "crunchy". No grinding though.

And it is indeed slightly "notchy" when cold (I wonder what's going to happen when the temperature falls much below freezing).

I cannot say that I am disappointed, since I did not have any major issues before, and it works just fine so far. Given the feedback though, I'd still use the same (more Shockproof, probably) mix the next time.
I had a similar experience. Maybe it is a placebo. Who cares, like you said?!!?? The stuff needs to be changed every 30k anyway, why not spend a few more bucks on the gear oil and get some good stuff in there??

Plus, I love that when I check the fluid level, the dipstick is BLUE!

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I used the redline non ns in my tranny. Was I supposed to go with the ns one?
It doesn't really make much of a difference. The NS stuff lacks the friction modifier that is needed in limited slip differentials. You don't need the friction modifier in the transmission or the front differential in auto transmissions. The only problem with the friction modifier is that is stinks like rotten eggs when it gets on hot exhaust parts. You may experience quicker shifting with the NS stuff, as it is designed for manual transmissions and the non NS stuff is made for limited slip differentials.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
BAC5.2
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing