Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Former Foz Dude
2010 WRX STI SE STI 6-speed, yo
1,376 Posts
I wouldn't call it "big" but it feels great!

If I accelerate slowly it feels almost the same as stock. Any time you get on it, though, it's a significant difference. I would say that there is a touch more lag, but it's not a lot. Once the VF39 spools up it simply pulls harder at all times. There is a lot more torque and you can feel yourself being pushed back into your seat. Keep in mind that I also did the DP at the same time so some of my newfound power is not just from the turbo.

I was slightly hesitant about switching turbos since in some ways the quick spooling TD04 is a good match for the 4EAT. It's only been a day but so far I think the tradeoff is well worth it. Yes, the TD04 get you going quickly but the power delivery is a lot more peaky and it only hits hard very briefly. Even though you can't choose your shift points with the automatic it still makes good use of the VF39's powerband when you want it; the power is both stronger and much smoother.
Ya the biggest thing I miss about the TD04 was the spool. My 4EAT with a VF39 takes forever to spool... But second gear... Watch out...:icon_rolleyes:

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
More mods this weekend!

I installed RAAM mat/Ensolite in the front doors along with some Infinity speakers and sea-scooby spacers. It took me quite a while (I'm pretty meticulous with the RAAM mat) but ambient noise is greatly reduced and music sounds a LOT better. The stock speakers are just laughable, you don't really know until you hold them in your hand how flimsy they are. The new speakers aren't even anything superb yet the mids and bass in particular sound a lot "tighter" (the sound deadening helps with this of course). No pics of this, didn't think to grab the camera while the door cards were off.

Installed an SPT heat shield and tilted the intercooler while I was at it.

Installed an eBay Impreza front strut bar. These are listed all the time for cheap (often in a package with a rear strut bar and H-Brace), I got mine from a local for $15. It came with pink ends, I painted them blue.

To install the brace I followed these steps:
  1. I completely removed the passenger side mount from the bar. I left the bolt holding the driver's side mount on pretty loose as well.
  2. I removed the nuts from the strut bolt and put the DS mount on. I loosely threaded the nuts back on to hold it there (the nuts are 14mm).
  3. I attempted to put the PS mount onto the strut bolts. Immediately I could tell the bar wasn't going to fit due to interference from the AC lines/hoses to the right of the intercooler. I tried moving them but that didn't really work. I ended up completely removing a small black metal bracket (kinda hard to get at - it uses 10mm hex head screws) that the hoses were attached to so I could move them further. I wrapped the AC hoses in some spare heater hose to protect them (see first pic below).
  4. I then put the PS mount onto the strut bolts. With the AC hoses out of the way I was able to bolt the PS mount to the bar. I did have to use a bit of force to get the holes to line up for the bolt to pass through, but it wasn't significant.
  5. I tightened the nuts down on the mounts, and finally tightened the bolts holding the mounts to the bar (the bolts are 16mm IIRC).
I think some models have the alarm horn on the strut tower area but that's not the case on 07-08 models AFAIK.

Pic of the AC hoses in the way:

Another pic. In this you can see there is plenty of clearance for the STi intercooler. The only thing I'm mildly concerned about is the little blue cap thingy on the AC line in back is touching the bar. I bent the line so it's barely touching it, so I think I'm OK.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,700 Posts
It looks like you got a full days MODding in & it looks great! :cool:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Almost forgot I also installed another thing sea-scooby gave me: a stock splitter with the back of it cut and bent back to allow a little more coverage of the TMIC. Not a perfect solution but it will do until I can buy something better.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,224 Posts
Thanks for the pics and write-up. Good stuff!

I, too, have the same bar and it is painted blue on the ends (Thanks, GTP :wink:). I have to get that bar on there one of these days I have free time along w/ my whole car RAAMmat w/ ensolite kit:icon_rolleyes::lol: Thanks for reminding me I have my SPT heat shield to sell since I got my subtle chimney.:icon_biggrin: Anyway, done w/ my tangent.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
Almost forgot I also installed another thing sea-scooby gave me: a stock splitter with the back of it cut and bent back to allow a little more coverage of the TMIC. Not a perfect solution but it will do until I can buy something better.
That's right. You basically ended up with all the parts I replaced with Subtle parts. Did you put a seal on the splitter?

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That's right. You basically ended up with all the parts I replaced with Subtle parts. Did you put a seal on the splitter?
Yeah, I just used the one from my existing splitter. It was in a little bit better shape than the one you gave me. I had to stretch it to fit of course but it's on OK.

·
Super Moderator
35,700 Posts
I looked thru your pictures & I can't find one of your spoiler? :confused:

Bobby...

·
Super Moderator
35,700 Posts
You've got to show off your "bling"! :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Bobby - a few pics of the spoiler for you. You can see the shape is slightly different than the standard spoiler.
I should take some at night to show the LEDs in the spoiler and on the license plate in action.

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Also ended up buying some Rota Formels mentioned in this thread: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f72/rota-formel-yay-nay-58141/ The poll was not in favor but they were too cheap to resist.

I'm still not generally a fan of polished lips, but as you can see in the pics the steel grey complements it pretty well. I'll wait until I scuff them or something and then powdercoat them. :lol: The tires are too small (came from an Impreza) but otherwise I like the style on the Forester.

·
Super Moderator
35,700 Posts
Looking good! Great looking wheels & thanks for the spoiler pictures. :cool:

Did you debadge the hatch? :confused:

Bobby...

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,160 Posts
Looks great, Andy!!! Don't let the polished lip naysayers dissuade you; those look sexy!!! :Banane35:

PS - If you powdercoat them, do gold!!!!

21 - 40 of 67 Posts