Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today was a big day for my Foz so I figured it was a good time to finally start a journal thread.

I bought my Forester in June of '07. I had been looking for quite some time at wagons and compact SUVs and had narrowed it down to a few choices. Two of the choices were the Legacy wagon and the Forester. After some test driving and pricing, I decided on a Subaru. After realizing that the Legacy wagon had all but disappeared from dealer lots, I narrowed it down to the Forester. My wife and I plan to have kids in the next year or two so we initially considered an X Premium to save some money since this would be our "family car", but a test drive of an XT really swayed me in that direction. The dealership was clearing out all their '07s to bring in the '08s, and there was only one FSXT left on the lot, in beautiful World Rally Blue. It had absolutely no optional equipment except for Sirius, so it was pretty much a blank slate. It was an automatic, but since my wife's car is a 6-speed I decided that was OK and for the most part I haven't regretted it.

This was my first Subaru and I quickly found a number of forums to join; this one is by far the best. SF.org has been a fantastic resource for me and I have met a number of great people from the forum both online and in person. It has saved me money in some instances but I'd say the mod bug it has given me has cost me more than enough to offset any savings... but it's worth it!!!
I am a mega bargain hunter so I have been able to get many of my parts well below market value, and the car is SO much fun now. :biggrin: Plus, I've learned a lot by installing some things myself.

My mod list...

Exterior:
Clear Bra
'08 FSXT spoiler with LED brake light (I'm probably the only '07 in the country running this)
17x7.5 ET48 Rota Torque wheels
35% tint all around
OEM splash guards
OEM bumper cover
OEM Aero crossbars (usually off)
OEM hitch
Sears X-Cargo box (for camping)

Interior:
'07 WRX one-piece seats
Autodimming/compass/HomeLink rearview mirror
MadDad Clarity V2 RX boost gauge w/Autometer mounting cup
yelnats_J delrin shift knob
Cargo tray
Side cargo nets
Coin tray
Aux in pocket mod (see item #6)
LED cabin lighting
Black STi floor mats (summer), All Weather floor mats (winter)
Infinity 6022si front speakers + sea-scooby spacers
RAAM Mat/Ensolite/Polyfill sound deadening in hatch & front doors

Suspension:
ContiExtremeContact tires
Forester-specific Swift springs
Kartboy "Botox" subframe locking bolts
STi 20mm rear sway bar and mounts
Kartboy endlinks

Engine/exhaust:
VF39
K&N panel filter
STi TMIC
ZeroSports Forester-specific "Cool Action" splitter
Helix catted downpipe (with Kakumei adapter to mate up with the stock midpipe)
STi axleback
SPT heat shield
Prodrive oil cap
Prodrive battery tie down
Beatrush pulley cover
Open source Protune by Bobby at PRE
Secondary air pump delete

Waiting to be installed:
RAAM mat in rear doors

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Engine bay shots.

Prodrive oil cap.

And battery tie.

Couple pics of the Beatrush pulley cover. This is made for an Impreza and I had some minor fitment issues. Not a big deal, I just had to use a longer bolt and some washers on the left hand mounting point because there is a hose in the way. The badge is a custom one-off made by GarageXTi that I've had laying around forever.

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ummmmm, how's the big turbo treating you????? :Banane08:
I wouldn't call it "big" but it feels great!

If I accelerate slowly it feels almost the same as stock. Any time you get on it, though, it's a significant difference. I would say that there is a touch more lag, but it's not a lot. Once the VF39 spools up it simply pulls harder at all times. There is a lot more torque and you can feel yourself being pushed back into your seat. Keep in mind that I also did the DP at the same time so some of my newfound power is not just from the turbo.

I was slightly hesitant about switching turbos since in some ways the quick spooling TD04 is a good match for the 4EAT. It's only been a day but so far I think the tradeoff is well worth it. Yes, the TD04 get you going quickly but the power delivery is a lot more peaky and it only hits hard very briefly. Even though you can't choose your shift points with the automatic it still makes good use of the VF39's powerband when you want it; the power is both stronger and much smoother.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,700 Posts
I have to say the WRB is a great color! :cool: Great pictures & information for those that are looking to MOD. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks good! I need to pick up some 06-07 wrx wheels as spares for when I move further north.
I think they're one of the better looking OEM wheels, and they're usually pretty cheap. The +55 offset is the only minor downside since you have to use a spacer for wider tires, but that's not really an issue if you're using them for winter wheels.

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like things went well with Bobby and PRE! You enjoying your tune? Sorry I missed you!!

~Jen
It seemed pretty busy that day so I didn't talk to Bobby all that much. I talked to him when I dropped it off and just made sure he knew I wanted him to make my car fast. :lol:

I'm definitely enjoying the tune! Every time I mash the accelerator I feel like I'm about to break the tires loose! :biggrin: Sorry I missed you as well but I'm sure we can catch up at another meet some time. :smile:

·
Registered
04 Forester STi
2,148 Posts
It seemed pretty busy that day so I didn't talk to Bobby all that much. I talked to him when I dropped it off and just made sure he knew I wanted him to make my car fast. :lol:

I'm definitely enjoying the tune! Every time I mash the accelerator I feel like I'm about to break the tires loose! :biggrin: Sorry I missed you as well but I'm sure we can catch up at another meet some time. :smile:
For sure! Good to hear you're enjoying you new Mods and Tune! Upgrading is so much fun!! Are You going on the Coastal Cruise in July? You should!! Bobby and I are going. I was at a Car Show all day Sat (6-27) .. from 10am -6pm. The show made the Local news. It was for the Kevin Duckworth Children fund. Great Cause, And I came home with 3rd place subaru. :biggrin: Bobby was pretty busy that Sat! When i got back to PRE at about 7:30pm he just got done Tuning an STi! (he did 5 different maps for the guy.)

btw Nice numbers man! ooooOOoo And we should go do some pics together sometime soon!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts