Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 5SPD XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my 04 XT has been using quite a bit of oil lately, around a quart every 220 miles or so. Up until last night I had 'internet diagnosed' it as the turbo seals being bad, which makes sense to me because the turbo has almost 140k on it.

The reason I'm questioning this is because last night I realized that the car smokes a decent amount for about a minute after doing a warm start. Never when the engine is cold, never under boost (unless it's right after the warm start) and really never any other time.

After searching the internet I found a few similar cases (but not identical, others had smoke at different times) and in a few of them the ringlands were found to be bad.

So far I've removed the oil cap with the car running and no smoke comes out. I don't use any coolant, and again I'm going through a quart of oil (Rotella 5w40) around every 220 miles. I should also mention that the car runs perfectly.

What are your thoughts on this? Is smoking only on a warm start indicative of blown turbo seals, bad ringlands, or possibly something else entirely? I've already checked the price on a leakdown test and it's almost $300...I'd like to avoid that if possible. :icon_frown:

·
Registered
2004 5SPD XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Out of the tail pipe. I tried to reproduce it a minute ago, and...I can't. Now I'm only getting visible vapor because of the cold air in MN. Maybe I'm overly paranoid, but I'm pretty sure that was not the case last night.

If I was just seeing vapor, why would I only see it in the warm start situation? It was only off for about 3 minutes in each case last night. Does any of this make sense?

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Pull off the intercooler and see if theres oil in there. I'd just do a compression and leakdown test, cheaper than the engine failing.

·
Registered
06 Forester
115 Posts
Yep, sounds like your seals are gone. you should be able to pick up used turbo online from someone who was upgrading and swap it yourself if you're that inclined.
If you're looking at an upgrade you will need a tune and couple of other mods if you don't have them already. However with that many miles on the car I'd personally look at used TD04.

·
Registered
2004 5SPD XT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I I'm glad that the ringland failure scare is over...I already bought a few things that should fix this....

Mainly a VF39...I'm going with a very conservative tune I promise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts