Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester Automatic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting some smoke off and on for a while since buying my Forester. At first I believed it had to do with the leaky power steering pump but I replaced that recently.

Typically I get the smoke coming from when I have been pushing the car a bit, particularly driving in Sport Mode. My wife pointed out the correlation with sport mode and the smoke. Case in point, did a climb today from about 4500 feet to a little over 7000 at 55-65 mph and had the car smoking at a rest stop for the kiddos.

I would like to hear what you all think. The smoke has an oily smell to it and from what I can tell is the result of something burning off of the exhaust manifold.

Thank you and please don’t hesitate to ask for more details if needed. I will do my best to provide them.

·
Administrator
16,033 Posts
G'day & Welcome!

First off check your front RHS driveshaft for split CV boots.

If not that you'll need to have a look under the car for oil leaks e.g. sump seal, leaks from timing cover etc.

For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Automatic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kevin, thank you for the quick reply and suggestions. I will get the ramps out today and look under that car.

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,066 Posts
The two times I’ve had smoke under the hood we’re:

1. Torn CV shaft boot (slung grease everywhere)

2. ATF spilled on exhaust. Smoke dissipated relatively quickly, but was still alarming

·
Registered
2011 Forester Automatic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too was wondering about the ATF because it made quite the mess when I was replacing the power steering pump. The smoke does dissipate quickly after shutdown but it is quite thick. Still need a chance to get out to the garage and look at the boots.

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,066 Posts
Kinda left out the "quite the mess" part in your OP, huh??? >:)

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,324 Posts
I've had smoke coming from the hood once. Turned out it was a leaking oil filter. Oil would blow onto the exhaust while driving and burned off when I stopped moving.

Obviously this would be for an EJ series engine where the oil filter was right in the crook of the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Automatic
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahaha, I suppose I should have led with that; my mistake. I had the chance to get under the car today and my boots are in good shape so much to my dismay, I can check off CV boot.

I did notice a little weeping at the press fitting immediately after the banjo bolt on the hydraulic line coming from the power steering pump to the rack and pinion but I have some trouble believing that would generate enough fluid to make the amount of smoke I was seeing. So unfortunately, I feel like this leaves me going the route of oil leak.

I will be trying to diagnose that as I have the time. BTW, does anyone have a suggestion for retrieving a broken dipstick from the tube? My grab handle snapped off, I am guessing because the plastic did not like the changes in hot and cold my Forester is subjected to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts