Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 forester s auto
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Looking at a 98 s model and the owner said when you add more than 3/4's of a tank you smell gas.I think he said strong smell. He said he replaced the filler but didn't say if the problem existed before that. I guess I need to have a better look at it but if there are no active leaks what could cause this? Also when i drove it there was no CEL. It could have been erased I suppose.Car only has 100k on it and is in pretty good shape so I don't want to rule it out but I'm not interested in dropping the subframe either:icon_frown: Any ideas where or what to look for? I've searched the forum for this but only seem to come up with filler tube stuff. Thanks in advance. Dennis

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
56 Posts
It sounds like its the fuel pump gasket, same thing happened to mine. I replaced the gasket and it fixed the gas smell problem

·
Registered
1998 forester s auto
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MexWagon. I was thinking the same thing.I don't see any visible signs of a leak. He did mention an intermittent light he said was evap related but couldn't remember the code.Also that the smell was outside the cabin. Now if I can get the Styrofoam flooring out without destroying it(as I've seen mentioned)it shouldn't be to difficult a job. Looks like I'm a foz owner.:Banane35:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.