Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my MY10 Subaru Forester for about 3 months now. The car has been good so far except for some small rattling/vibration noise coming from the right (driver side) top dash, just above the right aircond vent. The noise is small and not loud "loud", but it always there when the road is a bit rough, loud enough to get me annoyed and not enjoying the drive.

The noise only happens when the interior is warm, as I realise that the noise won't start until a few minutes after I start driving in the morning. With the hot summer weather here in Adelaide, the noise is there most of the time when driving.

I've brought the car to be checked at the dealership twice, and unfortunately, the service guys are not able to listen to the noise, and unable to fault it. I even went for a drive with one of the service guy and even though I can hear the noise during the drive, he said he can't hear it at all. Therefore, they can't do anything much with the noise. The only thing they can do it put some lubricant near the top right dash, but that unfortunately does not solve the problem.

I have also found out that whenever I push the top right dash, the noise gone. When I release the push, it came back again. If anyting can be done to make that right top dash to be fitted tighter, i think that shudl solve the problem.

Has anyone experience similar problem to this? I can't do anything about it at the moment, as the service people can't find/hear the noise. Is it just my ears are more sensitive to others? Can anyone suggest what else can I do to prove that the noise exist?

Cheers

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
My forester has lots of rattles/squeaks. I fix one every now and then, but they always pop up again. It seems like some people have a lot and some people have none. Also, as I've stiffened up the ride i've gotten more. But with that little time/miles it should be under warranty and if it really bugs you take it to the dealer and see what they say.

·
Administrator
16,390 Posts
On MY'03 it was the A pillar trim that rattled and sounded like it was the corner of the dash. Some new trim clips fixes it.

Welcome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh my god, I can so relate to you arope99!!!

Brand new 2010 model Forester here , just over 1000km....

My annoying rattle is coming from the passenger side... somewhere from where the dash meets the window/ long airvent area. It happens on small bumps etc.... not on smooth roads.

I have asked 2 different people to sit in the passenger seat to help me pinpoint it... and they say they cant hear a thing!!!! Infuriating, because :
A. I must sound mad for "imagining the noise" &..
B. The sound is driving me mad!!!!

I have nearly crashed, driving one handed, using my other hand to feel out the rattle, whilst twisting my head to put my ears in different listening positions!

Admitidly its not a huge problem, relatively speaking, but its enough to ruin an otherwise smooth ride. Being my first ever brand new car, I didnt go the 2nd hand option: mainly to enjoy a new, rattle free experience!

I'm hesitant to take it in for repair, for fear of what happened to you... "sorry buddy, can't hear a thing"... or worse, them pulling the whole thing apart and making things 10 times worse.

Your not hearing things, and neither am I! Will keep you posted my friend :)

·
Registered
my09 Forester XT
293 Posts
Get someone else to drive the car while you sit in the passenger seat and listen to your rattle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's the exact same rattle I have from the right driver's side. I originally thought it went away when I pushed down on the aircon vent.

But now it goes away easier if I push down on the bit of the dash where it meets the white A pillar.

Did anyone resolve this? I think its the same high frequency but quiet vibration/rattle as from the right side.

Cheers.

·
Registered
08 Forester X
139 Posts
When I mentioned my numerous rattles to my dealer, he just said "cold plastic/hot plastic". They do come and go.

·
Registered
09 forester
186 Posts
When I mentioned my numerous rattles to my dealer, he just said "cold plastic/hot plastic". They do come and go.
i had passenger side B pillar rattle that disappeared over time.

but i get all sorts of rattles coming from tailgate and cargo area especially in cold weather. i'll be soundproofing the whole car in next couple of weeks and i'll pay close attention to those area.

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Premium AT
193 Posts
For whatever it's worth...I noticed a rattle in my '11 that seemed to start around the base of the windshield on the right side. I think it may be the plastic trim under the wiper blade on the outside of the car. I put a little WD-40 in behind that piece and it seems to help.

·
Registered
2011 Forester Limited
83 Posts
I find that most rattles go away when the radio get turned up. :rock:

·
Registered
2002 Forester S auto
5 Posts
This is the same thing i'm dealing with in my 02 forester. I can't kill the squeak coming from somewhere between the right side of the dash and the passenger (US) door. It does seem like it's somewhat dependent on temperature, "cold/hot plastic" as someone said. I tried spraying plastidip and that didn't work and made the dash look gnarly. Maybe i'll try a combo of WD40 and some rubber insulation/weatherstripping.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Touring 5M
447 Posts
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f106/tech-tip-2009-forester-buzzing-rattle-noise-front-doors-47889/

I hope this help but ya mine is a rattle can sadly I love the car but...
I always have to put the sound up so I don't get upset by all the noise..
Yes on perfect road it's fine but as soon you hit gravel or bad roads it start ratling all over the place top right corner of the driver dash and some more rattle from top right corner passenger side..

Out of waranty so I got used to live with the rattle and some good tunes while I drive so I don't ear them.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S auto
5 Posts
Thanks dude I will try that!
Although I'm pretty sure my funny noise is more of a squeaky,
plastic-on-plastic sound. Invariably I'll probably wind up
yanking those panels off at some point in a mad-man fashion :biggrin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts