Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 FORESTER L 5 Speed
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought a 2001 Forester 5 speed with 124000 miles. The only issue is that there is a small leak coming from behind the timing belt cover. I have confirmed the timing belt and water pump were replaced by previous owner. I can assume that either the water pump is no good or the mechanic did a poor job cleaning gasket surface. My mechanic says that its so small and the fact that HEADGASKETS have not been done and will probably go within the next year I should keep an eye on it and if HEADGASKETS do go just do the entire job then. He also said to flush radiator and add the SUBARU ADDITIVE. That might slow it even further. Any comments appreciated...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Conditioner unlikely to help a WP leak, but won't hurt anything either.

Good chance the WP gasket was improperly installed. I worried about this when I did mine. You have to use some RTV to stick the gasket to the pump, while you mount the pump. Too much RTV could cause a leak.

If leak is small (< pint per week), I would leave it alone until timing belt maintenance.

good luck

·
Registered
98 Forester L
8 Posts
Sounds like what was happening to my 98' The water pump had been replaced 7000 miles ago along with head gaskets and timing belt. Ended up being the water pump leaking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts