Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS MY04 Auto
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Forester MY04 XS (NA auto) is quite sluggish when going up a hill. I replaced the A/F O2 sensor a year ago and also the rear muffler which was blocked. The engine runs and idles fine, it just doesn't seem to have enough grunt when climbing.
I had a recent service including a full computer scan which found no faults. The only issues found were the battery has 2 bad cells and needs changed, also the spark plug seals are leaking as there's oil on the plugs.

Could the battery or plugs affect performance? Or what else can I look at?
I believe this model is MAP so there's no MAF sensor to clean or replace.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Just a member
03 XS AUTO
847 Posts
Low torque and a steep incline will always equal sluggish performance. How steep was the "hill"?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Even on the freeway on a gradual ascent it does it. I feel like have to put the foot to the floor while other cars seem to fly past.
Are you saying this is normal, or what can cause the low torque? Anything else I should be looking at?
p.s. I use 95 premium UL.

·
Registered
2009 XS manual
359 Posts
so many things......
your car is 10 years old, many horses will have leaked away naturally ! the more k's the more horses will have left via the exhaust.

have you de-coked the engine lately?

new filters?

new coil packs (if it has them), new leads...

even if you renewed everything, you would still be throwing money away IMO

put that money towards a newer car...

·
Registered
2002 MY03 Forester 5 speed manual. 1.6:1 low range
218 Posts
Foresters, N/A, are not the gutsiest vehicles on the road.
They need constant gearbox stirring.
Luckily they rev ok.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so many things......
your car is 10 years old, many horses will have leaked away naturally ! the more k's the more horses will have left via the exhaust.

have you de-coked the engine lately?

new filters?

new coil packs (if it has them), new leads...

even if you renewed everything, you would still be throwing money away IMO

put that money towards a newer car...
yes the engine was flushed and de-coked last week. Also 2 doses of upper engine cleaner were used. New air filter fitted. There's 154000Km on the clock and has been well looked after with full service history. Gearbox was serviced about 10K ago with new transfer duty solenoid fitted and clutch plates.

Maybe you're right, could be time to think about something else.

·
Registered
2009 XS manual
359 Posts
looks like you've looked after it well, but it is 10 years old with a few k's

IMO, if you have heaps of money - buy another car

if you don't, keep it, you know it's history but just realise that it's getting a bit long in the tooth and don't spend too much on it ....

·
Registered
2004 Forester Manual
95 Posts
i do alot of highway driving with my 04XS and when i pop it in cruise control at 65mph it always slows down when going up hills, sometimes from 65 to 45mph if the hill is steep enough!!. Hate to say it but its just a slow car =/ Never buying a 4 cylinder non turbo again

·
Registered
2009 XS manual
359 Posts
it has it's limitations - you might have to drop a gear to hold your speed

we also have a small Jeep with the 2.0L VW turbo diesel engine in it......WOW, great engine, fully laden, with a decent trailer behind and you don't even notice the weight or hills !

if you are looking for a car that just goes and doesn't stop, look at a diesel turbo.....massive torque, that's what you actually drive with (forget the headline kW number)

·
Administrator
16,875 Posts
The only issues found were the battery has 2 bad cells and needs changed, also the spark plug seals are leaking as there's oil on the plugs.
Could the battery or plugs affect performance?
From cold start the battery could affect performance by not delivering enough power to the fuel pump (had that happen) and fouled plugs will certainly affect performance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From cold start the battery could affect performance by not delivering enough power to the fuel pump (had that happen) and fouled plugs will certainly affect performance.
Thanks Kevin, are you saying that a bad battery could only affect starting and shouldn't make any difference when the car is warmed up?

·
Registered
2009 XS manual
359 Posts
ohagas - really......stop looking to spend money !! ;)

you have a good used car, nothing will make it go faster.....unless you bolt on a turbo (and no don't do that!!!)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Strewth Oscar, believe me, I'm not fond of spending money...unless it's for fishing tackle or homebrew:icon_wink:
The battery could be 5 years old or more, so I need to change it regardless. Just trying to educate myself though, on the implications of driving with a dud one (aside from the obvious!).

I'm thinking of holding onto it for another 12 months, then going for something like the Hyundai IX35...I'll probably get shot for mentioning that on this forum, but they seem like great value for money and are a very smart looking car!

·
Administrator
16,875 Posts
Thanks Kevin, are you saying that a bad battery could only affect starting and shouldn't make any difference when the car is warmed up?
My experience was only when cold; full throttle and the car would bog down - when warmed and the battery had charged up a little all was good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts