Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1998 forester s
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey gang, i'm wondering if all subaru auto transmissions seem to take a long time to make the shift from gear two to three, i'm driving a 98 forester with 116k, my last car a legacy with over 180k did same thing , i changed the fluid and filter with little change, the trans shifts quickly and firmly from 1-2 and 3-4 but really takes its time with the 2-3, especially on light throttle when car is driven it's first ten miles, now it doesn't feel like a slip, and slips usually get worse as the trans heats up if i'm remembering correct, feels more like it's in limbo and can't make up it's mind, i would say at it's worst it takes three seconds to complete the shift. the only thing i've come across that explains anything is a too tightly adjusted band? i don't know, i don't think it's hurting anything , just a little annoying, thanks in advance for any insight you might have, think i'll opt for the sore knee and a manual next time:icon_cool:

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The 2-3 shift is the most "complex" in the 4eat. It could probably use some adjusting or even a rebuild, but I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of the newer 4eats make a "crunch" during the 2-3 shift under light throttle. It usually doesn't do it when manually shifting it or when using heavier throttle application.

Some have said trans-x might help the transmission if its getting bad. Also try resetting the ecu/tcu (although that probably won't help as much in the older mechanical transmissions as much as it does in the newer direct control models).

·
Registered
1998 forester s
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the 411, i'll be interested to try the manual shift to see if it behaves differently, i don't see a lot of people complaining of this, but i'm two for two on this gremlin, i've read that along with the gear change the awd goes from a fifty fifty to a ninety ten split for third and fourth gear? also read that there is a little box that works for the svx models to make them shift quicker, but as i said b4 after about ten miles it shifts pretty good, i'll try some additive, have had some luck with the lucas oil products, i would love to have a xt manual, but don't have the funds right now, thanks again for your service to the community:biggrin:

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Is it fully warmed up when it does this? You said it starts to shift fine after 10 miles or so. I know that mine shifts abruptly harshly when it's cold (and it takes me several miles to get it warmed up to the point where it shifts smoother).

·
Registered
1998 forester s
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
when everything is cold, about the first ten miles is when it shifts slowly 2-3, cold shifts from 1-2 and 3-4 definately are a little harsher until warmup,much like you describe, but the 2-3 shift is kinda opposite shifts slow/soft cold and firmer/quicker once driven awhile. wierd, but this is my second sooby to do this but i don't read alot about it? thanks bud:icon_biggrin:
p.s.funkey monkey1002, i think the donny darko rabbit is gonna give me nightmares man that thing is creepy

·
Registered
1999 Forester S-Turbo
70 Posts
I got the same problem!
It shift slow on 2nd-3rd. And when I do kick down from -0, it feels like I start from 2nd gear and then goes to 3rd.
Shifting is very "Stumble" on low RPM.
I left Battery disconnected over the night and at morning shifting was fine.
But later the day it happens again!
I have no idea what can bee wrong?!
ECU Problems? Transmission computer?
Any Idea's ???????????????

·
Registered
1999 Forester S-Turbo
70 Posts
There is a "shift kit" that addresses this problem. I will try to find it.

Edit - I Found it:
Subaru Automatic Transmission repair parts, supply the parts save money! - Drivetrain.com

I believe that the issue you are having is with the 3rd gear clutch burnup. Part # for the kit is K85944.
So if there is the 3rd clutch failure, how that problem dis aper after I disconnected battery for few hours??
I believe if transmission got some technical problems, you can't resolve it just by disconnecting battery.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,581 Posts
So if there is the 3rd clutch failure, how that problem dis aper after I disconnected battery for few hours??
I believe if transmission got some technical problems, you can't resolve it just by disconnecting battery.
Well the problem came back didn't it? Then it sounds like disconnecting the battery didn't fix it. Did your car sit and transmission fluid, bands, etc. inside cool off while the battery was disconnected?

·
Registered
1999 Forester S-Turbo
70 Posts
Well the problem came back didn't it? Then it sounds like disconnecting the battery didn't fix it. Did your car sit and transmission fluid, bands, etc. inside cool off while the battery was disconnected?
Yep, inside.
I connected battery at morning and everything was perfect.
When I was coming back from work, the problem show's up again :evilatyou:
Week ago I change Knock sensor and Battery.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S-Turbo
70 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,581 Posts
They are parts for a rebuild. You must remove and disassemble the transmission to install these parts. I apoligize. Some of the parts listed on that page can be installed simply by draining the fluid and removing the pan.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S-Turbo
70 Posts
They are parts for a rebuild. You must remove and disassemble the transmission to install these parts. I apoligize. Some of the parts listed on that page can be installed simply by draining the fluid and removing the pan.
Thanx allot for your help.
Will check all electric system.
When I will get it fixed, I let you know what was wrong.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S-Turbo
70 Posts
I'm back again!!!
And problem wit AT is back to :)
After I disconnecting battery for few hours, car runs just fine for about 1 week.
And then slow shift is coming back again.
Maybe there is some problems wit control unit on transmission?
Any Ideas please.........

·
Registered
1999 Forester S-Turbo
70 Posts
Maybe It will sounds funny and maybe even stupid.
But i find the problem.
Mass Air flow sensor
All 1st gen fozze's have a problem with that.
So, if some of you have a problem with slow shift between 2-3K/RPM, You may have to change Mass Air flow sensor

1 - 15 of 15 Posts