Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not tooconcerned about this but would be interested to hear of others' experience with this:

When cold, particularly in the morning, as I pootle along with a very light right foot, occasionally the box doesn't shift up on throttle lift-off as it would when warm. This happens at between 20-30mph, driving in second gear, lift off the throttle, and the car stays in second gear.

Is this purely because the box is cold?

I have also noticed after a good run and everything is warmed up thoroughly that when stationary the box clicks a lot when selecting different gears. Is this related?

Like I say, not concerned as everything still operates as normal and no other signs of things going wrong, no leaks, no AT transmission light.

Thoughts?

cheers
mike

·
Registered
2014 XE CVT
1,362 Posts
Cold oil affects the performance of the gearbox. The top gear lock-up clutch is programmed not to work until the oil reaches about 20C, to help warm the oil quicker: the "slipping" torque converter creates heat.

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh, most interesting, thanks orienteer :)

I am just reading the manual on the gearbox (thanks Don, KING of parts diagrams!)

mike

·
Registered
2003 forester x auto
236 Posts
Mine is just the same with "delayed" changing for the first few miles when cold.... can't say as I have any clicking when hot though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts