Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,748 Posts
Operator error. He should have stayed on the gas when he got on it...would have gripped, and made it around the corner.

·
Registered
2000 Forester
263 Posts
I think thats one of those glare ice situations, that sucks to be in. I've experienced it with and without snow tires, neither one made a difference in traction, there was non.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
I would have at least tried to steer up the curb and into the snow atop the grass. Snow traction > ice traction.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X LEV II
67 Posts
That driver had no business behind the wheel. Sliding with the brakes on, and not accelerating out of it. Must have been a new driver. I sure hope he has good Insurance.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
481 Posts
I can't believe there's folks who think that a dragging foot can stop an automobile. Call it the Fred Flintstone syndrome.

Rx: studded iPikes all the way around.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wow...it's gonna be a long winter...
Steve
09 2.5X AT
Winter began in October for us. At least it's supposed to (snow on Halloween is usual). March is supposed to be the snowiest month for Colorado. It'll be good for the ski resorts. They haven't gotten as much as they wanted this winter so far. I agree, we haven't gotten enough snow. MORE SNOW PLEASE! :mob:

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,325 Posts
That sux plus he/she slammed into another Forester.

joe r

·
Registered
2009 Forester
223 Posts
Wow that's wild. I've seen that happen around here on the hills in Duluth, Minnesota. I wonder how that first driver explained all that damage to his insurance company? "How exactly, sir, did you destroy all 4 sides of your car?" LMAO!

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
That sucks that it was three Subaru's piled up. Too bad the drivers didn't know what they were doing....

I would have......

A. Drove up onto the curb into someone's front lawn. The tires will dig into the grass/dirt and most likely stop the car. (rather than just slide on ice into someone)

B. With the brakes locked up, put the car in reverse and floor it, and hope that the heat from the friction slows or stops the car. If the car spins around as a result, slam it back into drive and floor it. I've done this once and it couldn't have worked better.

Better to do something rather than just sit there with your foot on the brake that's obviously not going to do anything and hit someone. Just my pennies on the matter.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've always wondered what would happen if people tried to change into reverse in such a situation. Because it was so icy he slid down, it's obvious trying to accelerate forward might have made him hit the Subaru Outback much harder even though he would have missed hitting the Subaru Forester.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts