Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Forester Manual
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was including the work done on my daily over in the thread for my WRX on NASIOC. But this car is quickly becoming a labor of love to keep her in good running condition so I figure there is enough that I do to it to deserve its own space.

- 2012 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT
Previously a lease, turned in at 37,000 miles where I bought it from the dealer. Ill be honest its not my favorite color inside or out, but I was in a pinch and needed a new set of wheels after the insurance company wrote off my last forester. Finding the manual transmission variety is hard around here, so this just had to do and I pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Manual
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
July of 2017

I have a long commute to work, mostly highway, so good sound out of the stereo is key. I replaced the factory head unit with an Alpine model that also has GPS which is something I cant live without.
Also ordered the JDM faceplate so I didn't have to use the ugly space that came in the dash kit.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

·
Registered
2012 Forester Manual
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
July of 2020

I had to replace the passenger wheel bearing (Dealership replaced the drivers side before the warranty ran out). What a paint in the donkey this was, but I got it done. Even made the stupid move and broke the ABS sensor trying to get the sensor out and had to replace that too

Then One of the muffler flanges rotted out.
So I decided to have some fun and upgrade a little. Went with a pair of Nameless mufflers:

I cheaped out and used a Walker replacement for the resonator pipe, but since they use a small generic resonator the exhaust sounds really harsh under heavy acceleration and WOT. Ended up repalcing it with the factory unit which sounds much better.

Then while doing an oil change I noticed that the coolant crossover pipe that routes under the engine has a spot almost rusted through and bought a new one:

Had to lift the engine off the sub-frame to do it, what a PITA:

Needed new sow tires so I went with a whole new setup: Went with 17" Sparco wheels and 225/60/17 Blizzak WS80

Then while doing another oil change I noticed both engine grounding straps were rotted out so I made some new ones. Not really sure how important they are but I figured they couldn't hurt:

·
Registered
2012 Forester Manual
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More July 2020

Both fog lights ended up cracking and one finally burnt out so I replaced them both and added yellow protective overlays paired with yellow LED bulbs. Also blacked out the chrome trim rings:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Then one of my rear calipers seized up and the other one wasnt looking too healthy either So I replaced both rear calipers, rotors, pads, and ebrake shoes:

Then after trying to pin point the cause of the intermittent P0420 I finally decided to replace the catalytic converters
Went with Magnaflow replacement units:

After the install I noticed a very harsh manifold exhaust leak. Ordered new gaskets and dropped the manifold.
Gaskets looked fine. Made ups some plates and pressure tested the manifold: Bad welds. Like every single weld on the entire thing was leaking. Really disappointed with Magnaflow on this one. However, they wouldn't refund my money but did send me a replacement. I didn't even want to waste my time with it, so I sold it on Ebay and threw the factory one on temporarily.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Manual
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More July 2020

Driver front CV shaft went bad and had to be replaced:

I was a little disappointed to find the axle had a black inner end, I price searched for quite a while to make sure I was getting a genuine axle, and ordered it from a genuine Subaru parts site.
However I did a little research and found out that there is such a thing as "Genuine" Subaru rebuilt parts, Im hoping this is what I got since even the box has all the Labeling of a genuine part.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Manual
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
April 2021

Used the money from the replacement Magnaflow manifold I sold on ebay and put it toward a UEL manifold from InferoFabrications

I was getting a noise from the transmission that I assumed was either a bad TOB or pilot bearing,
So I did a whole clutch job including some Kartboy and TurnInConcepts shifter bushings

Went the whole winter with everything seeming to have been fixed. But as soon as the spring hit the noise started to come back but even worse as well as noticeable when driving in the low gears.
So right now the Forester is on jack stands in the shop
I believe the only culprit right now is a bad input shaft bearing.
I dropped the trans again and dropped it off at a local transmission shop to be rebuilt

Then the transmission shop opened up the trans. Turns out the input shaft bearing was in fact bad, but it had been spun for so long that the inner race was welded to the shaft and he tried every tool he had to press it off and it would not come off. He said next option was to cut it off which would likely cause some damage to the shaft witch would mean it would unlikely be balanced after.

Soooo, ordered a used 5 speed which will be here today. 70K on it which is a lot but still half the mileage on mine. Had it sent to the shop too to avoid shipping cost.
The core return was only $50 so Im keeping the old one (which is in pieces) so im going to keep my eye on ebay and wrecker sites for a used complete input shaft and maybe put it together myself or have the shop put it back together and have a spare trans on hand.

Still not a great outcome considering it ended up being about $400 more than the shop was going to charge for the rebuild, but at least ill have the car back on the road.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Manual
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the Forester now has a new/used transmission in it.
There was a slight mix up that happened: The yard that pulled the trans took the shifter stay bracket off the back, and the transmission shop accidentally forgot to give me back the tail portion of the trans (which I got back later) which had that bracket.
So I had to steal it off the WRX since its the same exact bracket:

Also while I was waiting on the new trans I installed a gift that my wife got me: An Apline underseat subwoofer to pair with the Alpine head unit.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Manual
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so update here on the used transmission:

Car drives great. But after a couple days of driving I noticed some drips on the garage floor. Turns out the shifter shaft seal was leaking. These things weep on pretty much all subaru transmissions but never enough to drip and it bothered me enough to deal with it.

I forgot to take pictures of the process mostly because I was in a hurry. But what I found was very frustrating.

Turns out the simple seal replacement was more than just that. Apparently overtime the shaft pressed into the metal portion of the seal and wore a groove in the shaft itself. I have no idea what would have caused this. But obviously this metal burr it created was tearing up the seal.

So I used a file and did my best to carefully smooth down the metal burr without marring up the shaft itself. So the shaft is "smooth" at least now. There is however a slight depression that may still catch on the seal. I'm confident that this may work out, but only time will tell.

I guess worst case scenario is, The shaft needs to be replaced. I do have a good one in the old transmission, but removing the whole tail portion of the trans and not just the end cap is definitely oustide my wheelhouse I think, so I would probably have to pull it again and drop it off at the transmission shop. Hopefully it doesnt come to that.

·
Registered
2012 Forester Manual
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the good news is the seal does not seem to leak, super happy about that

So I swapped out the fluid for the good stuff, I figured I might was well spend the extra $$ and protect this trans a little better.
Only made one little mistake. I meant to add 2 quarts of the amsoil, then the shockproof, the top off as needed with the 3rd amsoil ... wasn't paying attention and added all 3 amsoil's and only ended up topping off with a small amount of the shockproof. But its alright, Ill use the shockproof int he WRX.

Also needed new tires for the summer. I loved my winter setup I went with the exact same setup but with the sparcos in gold instead of black and Continentals instead of Bridgestones.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts