Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go car-camping with a big bunch of mostly other geezers twice a year, and after realizing that neither tents nor sleeping on the ground worked well for my age and condition, I did some quick measuring of my 2001 Forester's cargo area and discovered I could JUST fit, with some fiddling. If I park nose-down and let my feet hang over the laid-down right seatback I can sleep rather comfortably. The only remaining problem comes with sitting up, wherein the available headroom leaves me barely leeway to pull my shoes on.

What I really want to know is what kind of room the later models offer. I love the heck out of Old Quicksilver, especially in headlong-twisty-road mode, but he's got over 200K under his wheels and his gas mileage, especially as a daily shopper, is pretty dismal. I am wondering if anyone on this forum or known to it has made a survey of Forester cargo-bay dimensions, covering length, height and width, and either made it available or is willing to. I am reluctant to look into a too-recent one, mostly because I prize handiness and agility over sheer size in any vehicle, but I'm willing to follow the numbers where they lead. I did see a nice second-generation one today that looked not much bigger but noticeably taller … So I will be grateful for any useful information. I know, I COULD just go find a nice Volvo 140-series wagon, but I like Subies. And Suby Specialties!

·
Registered
279 Posts
aaaye pasadena, im posting from work in pasadena!

Im assuming headspace for the newer forester is a bit better, since its shaped more of an SUV rather than a wagon.

Im doing the same thing, except with my wife and i in an 08 fxt. But im small, im 5'8, my wifes 5'5. we fit, but snuggled for sure. I did take out the extra foam on the bottom to give us more space. Additional 3-4 inches.

I wouldnt go about measuremnts, but see if you can go into the dealer and check it out yourself with your body. Its always different from what you can imagine with given space, vs actually being in the car.

·
Premium Member
2006 FXT Lux
385 Posts
For what it's worth, I've laid down in the back of an 01/01 SF GT and it was an 'ok' amount of room.

Lying down in my 06 SG XT is a noticeable size difference.

I haven't tried yet in my friends new-to-him 2010 SH XT but the rear seats and hatch space look ENORMOUS compared to my 06... I have no doubts that I could more comfortably sleep in it!

SF < SG < SH

The newer, the bigger?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts