Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
i have a subtle solutions one and it is quite easy to install once you get used to it. i say that because like with all skid plates, you need to either use a flashlight to spot the bolt hole in the subframe or just get used to feeling for the location.

they have an option to powdercoat it black if you want to (if you don't plan on dinging it often) which, i must say, looks really damn good.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Make your own.

Look at the pic above. It has one bend and 4 holes. Cut a piece of cardboard and mount it at the 4 points you see in the above pic. Then find a shop to bend it for $10 cash. You can make one for less than $60 and there will be no shipping charges.

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
621 Posts
Make your own.

Look at the pic above. It has one bend and 4 holes. Cut a piece of cardboard and mount it at the 4 points you see in the above pic. Then find a shop to bend it for $10 cash. You can make one for less than $60 and there will be no shipping charges.
60.00 .. really? wow what thickness and grade of alum did you use?

·
Banned
2007 XT Sports Manual
6,413 Posts
Make your own.

Wrong, it has more than 1 bend, you just can't see the back of it.

Our plate also allows clearance for the STI Lower Arm Bar and a Fumoto Oil Valve.

·
Banned
2007 XT Sports Manual
6,413 Posts
Then find a shop to bend it for $10 cash. You can make one for less than $60 and there will be no shipping charges.
Please post your material provider so we can all get smokin' deals like yourself.

What grade aluminum did you use?

How thick?

Did you buy a rem piece or have it sheared to size?

I doubt any U.S. shops will bend this up for $10 cash. Our plates are cnc press bent. It's a one-off and if the shop is busy, it's not worth their time or efforts...especially for only $10. It takes time to program their press break machine.

·
Fast & Dirty
4,050 Posts
With all due respect to vendors and their quality skid plates but I simple try to offer those members that want to build it themselves some advice.

I do not wish to engage in a debate on the quality of your skid plates or mine. Period.

suby2003, if you would like more info then lets try a PM. :)

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
I doubt any U.S. shops will bend this up for $10 cash. Our plates are cnc press bent. It's a one-off and if the shop is busy, it's not worth their time or efforts...especially for only $10. It takes time to program their press break machine.
The shop may not, but the guy running the press break will be more then happy to do it for $10 on one of his breaks or after his shift. Doesn't need to be done on a cnc press break either, a hand break will do just fine for a one off.

Our local club members have had more then a few done. Those that have paid for the sheet, then done the cutting/drilling them self then paid to have it bent at a shop had it all done for less then $100(more so around $60-80).

One thing that every one thinking about a skid plate needs to take into consideration. 1/8" and even 3/16" simple sheet type plates don't offer a whole hell of a lot of protection. It is attached to a 3,000 plus pound vehicle with all the momentum of that vehicle. If you hit any thing solid with them they will crumple, fold, bend and the mounting bolts can be ripped clean through. Plates like these I personally have a hard time classifying as any thing more then street use and for the boys/gals that see some snow time fun every now and then. They are not for serious offroad use and even some soft roading may be too much.

Subtle, I am in no way knocking your product or your price, The same goes for those made by other companies like Primitive, RalliTEK and so on(I have purchased and run a RalliTEK plate in the past). You guys have overhead, the guy doing it his driveway/garage has free time....

Here is the result of a low speed <40mph hit to a sheet style plate where it leading edge dug into a rut or snagged a rock on a dirt road and tacoed the plate ripping it off the mounts.

·
Banned
2007 XT Sports Manual
6,413 Posts
Here is the result of a low speed <40mph hit to a sheet style plate where it leading edge dug into a rut or snagged a rock on a dirt road and tacoed the plate ripping it off the mounts.

Let's see the subframe pictures! :biggrin:

Why does the leading face/edge so large? It looks like it's 10"+

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
I believe the leading edge was tucked in the bumper, it really wasn't that large. No damage to the sub-frame. All in all, I don't think there would have been any damage other then a few scratches on the bumper if the plate was not there.

I posted the pics just to remind people these should not be relied upon for moderate to severe impact protection.

·
Fast & Dirty
4,050 Posts
Also, if you plan to make your own skid plate you may want to make it long enough so you can make a bend at 45 degrees at the back. Draw a line 1" back from the rear edge and make a bend 45 degrees up. The bend should be pointing into the under carriage of the Forester.

This will eliminate the plate from getting caught when reversing.

Finally, when off roading.....go slow. Less chance of ripping off your plate or damaging your ride.

Cheerio.

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,330 Posts
I will be making my own soon, either out of .090 or .125 aluminum. T6063 grade. I can get it bent for $10 as well. LOL

Im not concerned with having a suber stout piece as this will be stronger than the oem plastic piece.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts