1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SG5 X 5MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
I'm from Italy and i've a SG my2006.

Do you know if there is some good aluminium skid plate & diff cover reseller or do you have any advice about this topic?

Thank you!
ElDi

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,148 Posts
I have the Subaru UK option rear differential with a photo in this thread: Underbody Skid Plates for XT
Unfortunately the part is no longer listed on Subaru UK's website for accessories IMGGB Subaru Accessories

The closest I know of for sale is in the US here: Subaru Forester Rear Differential Protector (Part No: B031SSA000)

I know of no skid pan option in the UK or Europe at the moment. A company did make them in Australia for a while but even they stopped production as I understand. You might be best off making one yourself using the plastic undertray as a template if you're good with sheet metal

Edit: This might be worth a look: SUBARU

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
413 Posts
Hi @eldi, I've been looking myself for future ideas. As above, UK suppliers seem pretty few and far between..

I did find this:

But it seems pretty pricey. Then again, getting one made up by a metal worker would probably be no less..

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
1,545 Posts
looks impressive …… there is a but coming.

Prior to my forester days I owned a landrover for 17 odd years .

I can tell you with that item fitted , if you hit a tree stump or a big rock HARD that thing can fold on to your steering arms which can put you in all sorts of bother .
Lets ask @Kevin for his thoughts .
For example with guard fitted will you bend chassis legs and will it hit steering parts if you come into contact with an immovable object.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,148 Posts
To be fair, if you are hitting things hard enough to bend chassis legs, you need to pick a different line or fit what the yanks call "Rock Sliders"

The skid plate I had in mind was literally for just that, skidding/scuffing the plate instead of the sump etc - Not for hard impacts or supporting the vehicle's weight

I imagine you would want a body on frame/Ladder Chassis type setup that a Land Rover/LandCruiser and some pickups have if you want to fit plates to support the vehicle's weight plus more.
Same for using kinetic/elastic ropes/snatching straps or hardcore winching that would mess up a Forester's chassis

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi there @eldi, you have many choices.

I bought my genuine rear differential skid plate off eBay for 100USD shipped to Aotearoa. This one is truly heavy duty and made in the USA.

At the moment, I can only see one for sale in Russia and it's rather expensive: OEM Subaru Rear Differential Guard Plate Cover R160 for Impreza Forester Legacy | eBay

Subaruers from the US use Primitive Racing skid plates: . These are good if shipping is reasonable.
In Europe, you can buy from some manufacturers:
I am a fan of steel sump guards because they can act as bash plates and can be repaired easily when you are in a trail/off-road. I got the genuine Gravel Express allow sump guard though which is stamped for extra rigidity. The one in Sump Guards UK is steel and is also stamped for extra rigidity.

Some alloy skid plate in the market are just there for insurance purposes and sometimes break once you hit something hard. At least, you break skid plate, not something else.

SAS SubGarage has that extended 8mm rear diff protector which ALNSM Overland uses in this SF. It will fit the SG.

Their front skid plate is only for the SF but you can ask them if they already have something for the SG or if they can make you one. Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree @Ianb1234, it's usually better for a skid plate/sump guard to absorb the shock instead of translate it to the body. Alloy skid plates absorb the shock fairly well although, oftentimes, they are a one off. They are much more brittle than steel, making them harder to repair.

SubaXteme (Subaxtreme) makes good skid plates as well but the shipping may kill the buyer from Europe. Their site is down at the moment.

The Sump Guard UK is a good sturdy one and since it's steel, it's much more malleable for slight scraping. You just have to live with the 19kg additional weight in front. Cheers.

·
Registered
2006 SG5 X 5MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you so much guys!!!!
A lot of resources!!!

The use of the skid plate, in my case, is only for a good protection on soft off-road.
I think that the optimal material for these protection is aluminium, 19Kg on the front, for a steel skid plate is so much!!!
@ABFoz i'm going to contact SAS (y)

I've found also this UK link Home - Subaru WRC Spares Ltd
I've asked for a diff cover for Forester SG and the price is 150£ + shipping & vat

About Primitive Racing i've received a quote from Paul for skid plate and diff cover (the same of the photo of @ABFoz, a very good quote!) but is much expensive the shipment and tax from USA to Italy :cry:

·
Administrator
12,650 Posts
I've never used a rear diff guard as it's probably the strongest part of the vehicle! My skid plate / sump guard is no wider than the "chassis" rails and has taken lots of hits without transferring any damage elsewhere. My fuel tanks however probably have several litres less capacity than when new!

·
Registered
2006 SG5 X 5MT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice to read you Kevin 🍻

Your skid plate is alu or steel?thikness?

·
Administrator
12,650 Posts
It's sheet aluminum, i.e. not cast, can't remember the thickness but I can measure it tomorrow. It's a home made guard that I got from a friend for a case of beer when he traded his Forester. I have a SubaXtreme cast guard as well but it's in need of repair as it's cracked.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've never used a rear diff guard as it's probably the strongest part of the vehicle!
True, @Kevin. I only got a protector (The box says rear diff gravel guard) because it was so cheap. I think the material is steel for the rear diff casing because of the weight and feel. It is much heavier than it looks. Subaru diffs are the heaviest ones among the CUVs.

There will be extra protection for the propeller shaft bearings and the alloy diff cover when reversing but the rear diff casing itself is truly solid and strong. I noticed that when installing the protector, haha. When lowering the diff, the weight was too heavy for my relatively tight working space. Cheers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts