Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll try to keep this short & sweet.
Researching A/T wheels and tires can be overwhelming at times. I don't know about yall, but it helps me to see all the numbers right in front of me and in once place. So I did a thing and I made a spreadsheet. lol

In my research I concluded that the SK gens can only go down to a 17 inch wheel and can up to a 29-ish* inch tire.
(please feel free to fact check me on that)

When I choose my set up, I factor the following:
  • total wheel + tire weight
  • overall height & width
  • sidewall height
  • speedometer difference
I'm leaning towards KMC Bully 17" wheels for a few reasons.
  1. they look damn good, and they're cheaper than the LP Aventure wheels
  2. about 3+lbs lighter than stock will compensate for the heavier tires
  3. smaller wheel = bigger tires
  4. smaller offset (+48mm vs +38mm) = just a little poke ;)

All data collected in my spreadsheet is directly from @Discount Tire website.
@Discount Tire - Can you confirm the weight of the Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner? a 245/65r17 seems to be WAY lighter than all the competitors in that size. (29 lbs)

Since overall tire measurements can vary slightly between companies, I used Tire Size Calculator as as baseline for the speedometer difference and the wheel dims. (WxHxSIDEWALL)

I also used Wheel Offset Calculator to calculate the difference in offset with the new wheel.

Hopefully this might help someone else :)

edit- added 225/65r17 to the list. thanks @Naidu for the tip!

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can give you the feedback that on mine 19 sport, stock wheels, i am running 235/55/18 Wildpeak AT Trails
235/55 & 235/60 seem to be the most common picks I see for an 18" wheel. I'd really like to see more 225/60's! With all the research I've done, I think I'm leaning towards that size.
225/60/r18 is the stock width, which means about the same rolling resistance.
based off my chart; compared to the 235/55's, the 225/60s are a little taller, lighter, and has more side wall.

I'm not saying one is better than the other though. There's just a lot of variables to factor in.

I'm glad some of yall appreciated my work :)

·
Registered
2020 Forester, Crystal While Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather
97 Posts
@guitarman73 Appreciate your sharing the spreadsheet. I notice however your chart for the KMC Bully 17" does not include the info for the 225/60/R17 or 225/65/R17 tires. Would have been an interesting comparison. I would estimate 225/60/R17 would be almost stock height with a larger sidewall, and a slight increase it overall weight.

From what I've read, for most off-road uses, a narrower tire with a larger sidewall is ideal. Though, I guess, a wider tire looks more aggressive. Thanks for starting this interesting thread.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@guitarman73 Appreciate your sharing the spreadsheet. I notice however your chart for the KMC Bully 17" does not include the info for the 225/60/R17 or 225/65/R17 tires. Would have been an interesting comparison. I would estimate 225/60/R17 would be almost stock height with a larger sidewall, and a slight increase it overall weight.

From what I've read, for most off-road uses, a narrower tire with a larger sidewall is ideal. Though, I guess, a wider tire looks more aggressive. Thanks for starting this interesting thread.
Thank you for the feedback! :)
The reason I didn't look for 225/60r17 is because according to Tire Size Comparison , those are overall a touch smaller than the stock set up. Sure there's a little more sidewall, but there will be more Revs/Mile. Now I'm sure there is plenty of room to debate if that small bit of a difference will impact anything. See picture below for difference between stock dims, and 225/60r17 dims:

However, I guess I didn't even factor in 225/65r17 to be a contender! I will update my spreadsheet and try to edit my original post with the newly added 225/65r17 to the list!
Again, thanks for the feedback :)

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for posting your research. Good job.

According to the data we received from the manufacturer the Goodyear Trail Runner A/T 245/65R-17 weighs 29 pounds. Here is a link to them online:

Goodyear Trail Runner A/T | Discount Tire

Please let us know if we can help.

@Discount Tire - Thanks for double checking that info for us! 29lbs for a 245/65r17 is pretty damn good compared to its competition! Every other AT tire in that size is at least 5-10lbs heavier.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for making this! Please post photos once you get the new setup installed!
Oh I absolutely will post pictures! Probably wont swap out wheels & tires until I wear out the stock ones. Gotta get my moneys worth out of those dinky tires! lol :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the writeup! I have also been looking at Bully's for my wife's 2020 Forester Limited and from what I have gathered, they are on nation wide backorder. Quite popular evidently. Also, my local Discount told me they wouldn't fit because their wheel lookup machine didn't have a 2020 application and the offset was different from stock. I emailed KMC to ask why 2020 Subaru's are not even listed on their website and they said they have been busy. The did however confirm that the fitment of these wheels was acceptable for the 2020 Limited application in case I was concerned.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the writeup! I have also been looking at Bully's for my wife's 2020 Forester Limited and from what I have gathered, they are on nation wide backorder. Quite popular evidently. Also, my local Discount told me they wouldn't fit because their wheel lookup machine didn't have a 2020 application and the offset was different from stock. I emailed KMC to ask why 2020 Subaru's are not even listed on their website and they said they have been busy. The did however confirm that the fitment of these wheels was acceptable for the 2020 Limited application in case I was concerned.
Thanks for the feedback! :)

Since I am on a budget, I think I have concluded that I will not be going with new wheels.

I believe the ReadyLift 2" lift kit, plus a set of Toyo's 225/60r18 tires will get me where ever I need to go. I had to be honest with my self and admit what my real intentions were with the vehicle. I'm not doing any crazy off road stuff. Just camping and back road cruising around Texas.

The $500+ I would spend on wheels, I can put that towards more camping gear. lol

I do think having a full size spare is important though. So I might buy a used stock 18" wheel, and throw that on the back with a spare tire carrier for the trailer hitch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts