Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5x premium
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked to see how much it would be to have my local dealer install Sirius so that it would come through the factory stereo and they quoted me $500!!!:mob:
Any suggestions on where one might find a receiver and antennae for a better price??
....and...any idea on exactly what brand name the stock/factory stereo is??

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5iPremium CVT
28 Posts
AUX

I checked to see how much it would be to have my local dealer install Sirius so that it would come through the factory stereo and they quoted me $500!!!:mob:
Any suggestions on where one might find a receiver and antennae for a better price??
....and...any idea on exactly what brand name the stock/factory stereo is??
When you find out how expensive it'll be even if you do the labor yourself, buy a standalone Sirius radio with a car kit, then use the AUX input and power point in your center console.

·
Registered
2010 2.5x premium
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So..its hopeless then? I was hoping to just transfer my subscription over to the Subaru but I guess I'm stuck with the external Sirius radio.

·
Premium Member
2013 Kia Rio Automatic
1,639 Posts
It isn't hopeless. What model year do you have, what type of in dash unit do you have?

If you have the unit that is SAT ready, you will need a tuner. You will have to buy the
Subaru specific one as generic Sirius tuners don't work. You will also need an antenna.

I found my Sirius tuner on here for about half what the retail price was.
I found my antenna at an audio shop, generic one works.

·
Registered
2010 2.5x premium
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2010 Forester 2.5x premium...not sure what the stock radio is..doesn't say anywhere ,the guy at Subaru says he's pretty sure its a panasonic, but yes it does have a satellite button on it.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,302 Posts
Make sure you are prepared for the stock unit if you pay the money.

The stock unit does NOT scroll the text. You may not think that is a big deal now...but trust me...quite the pain in the *** later.
True, it doesn't scroll, but I'm ok with it...I don't take my eyes off the road that long anyways. :N_poke:

·
Registered
2010 2.5x premium
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually Im glad you said that..I thought it might since the factory stereo scrolls text across when listening to local radio. Knowing that it doesnt is disappointing..I need to know what the topic is on Stern as well as what date of show Im listening to on the ever lovin Grateful Dead channel.:Banane08:

·
Registered
2010 2.5x premium
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone have the Sirius hardwired into the stock stereo?..Is the reception better (no static)? and is there still a Sirius antenna on the outside or does it just feed through the car antenna??

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Manual
74 Posts
Does anyone have the Sirius hardwired into the stock stereo?..Is the reception better (no static)? and is there still a Sirius antenna on the outside or does it just feed through the car antenna??
I have mine hardwired. No static, I used a standard Sirius antenna. there is an antenna that mounts along the edge of the windshield and my xt was already wired for it, however the used satellite kit I bought did not come with it. I just bought a standard Sirius antenna and ran it out the hatch through the third brakelight grommets.

·
Registered
2009 forester
79 Posts
A couple of components from PAC Audio will allow you to integrate a universal Sirius Tuner with the factory radio. It's a cost savings over the factory unit I've seen listed for $315, so you might want to give 'em a look, plus this arrangement gives you direct control over your iPod. Here's what I purchased:

Sirius Universal $70 (Crutchfield) *you can find this cheaper
PAX AMG + Harness $139 (Amazon)
Satellite DIN Cable $39 (Amazon)

I have yet to install. I'll update later. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to rekindle a 'dead' thread. But I was wondering how most guys (and girls) run their antennae for Sirius/XM. I had previously mounted it on the dash, but in my old car I couldn't listen to Sirius/Xm in the rain because of the windshield wipers. Gets rather annoying in Florida, during the summer time.
I saw that some have run it through the grommet near the third brake light.
-Which way do you get back there? Underneath the carpet? Through the side panels? etc?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
123 Posts
Sorry to rekindle a 'dead' thread. But I was wondering how most guys (and girls) run their antennae for Sirius/XM. I had previously mounted it on the dash, but in my old car I couldn't listen to Sirius/Xm in the rain because of the windshield wipers. Gets rather annoying in Florida, during the summer time.
I saw that some have run it through the grommet near the third brake light.
-Which way do you get back there? Underneath the carpet? Through the side panels? etc?

Thanks in advance.
I'm wondering this too. I currently have my Sirius antenna hidden in the dash but it needs to be moved. Way too many dropouts. I would like to see a close up picture with the rear hatch open. I just want to see how people are running the wire from the roof. Over the weatherstripping or under the weatherstripping? Through the brake light? How is this done and where does it go from there. Anybody have good pictures that shows this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Phils. I actually ended up running the wire across/under the weather stripping. I will post pictures, once I am able to (reach the 15 post mark).

·
Registered
2010 Forester
9 Posts
Right now I've got my Sportster Replay sideways in the second storage cubby between the driver and passenger seats. I have the power cable tucked underneath the change bucket and into the center console where it is plugged into the 12v outlet, and the Aux cable doing the same, but going into the Aux input right beside the 12v.

For the antenna I stuck it on the roof near the back of the passenger side rail. I tucked it along the weatherstripping down the back of the hatch and underneath the cargo tray. Then I slipped it through to the back seat, keeping it hidden until I hit the plastic molding near the door, where I ran it up to about the middle of the passenger front seat and then cut across under the seat (weaving in and out of a couple wires to keep it up tight) and then it comes up near the Passenger seatbelt and over the edge of the cupholder where the Sportster sits.

I'd like to get a Sportster 5 and install it on the dash to the left of the steering wheel (and keep the install very clean) but I'd like to see some photos or hear how that can be done before I invest in a new radio. Is there no way to tap into the existing antenna and make it work for Sirius also?

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited
123 Posts
I finally had my antenna moved to the rear of the roof. The installer ran the wire through that small removable grommet just below the third brake light. Drilled a tiny hole in the center of the grommet to run the wire. From there he hid it inside the hatch plastic trim over to the accordian shaped grommet on one side of the hatch. Can't see it. Pulled it through there into the vehicle probably through the headliner. He didn't use that 3 inch rubber tail and I'm wondering if I really need it. I know it's supposed to be 3 inches from the edge but it looks better without it and reception seems great. I'm just worried about car washers pulling the magnetic part off. Does the rubber tail help keep it secure in car washers?

·
Registered
2010 Forester
25 Posts
For those with the stock Sat Radio (Sirius or XM) do you lose the iPod capability? Our rental had Sat radio and the wife really liked it. So now I am tasked with figuring out how to add it to the Foz...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts