Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody installed a single-DIN (2" height) radio along with a single-DIN scanner in their Forester? I've got a Bearcat BCT15 scanner and I believe it will fit OK under a single-DIN radio but I've got to figure out how to connect the scanner's speaker output. The scanner has an internal speaker on its underside but I don't think it will be that loud when it's installed in the dash. There is a jack on the back of the scanner for an external speaker and I'd like to use the car's existing speakers if possible. Should I look for a HU with an aux input on the rear?

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
4 Posts
I have an 02 and doing the same thing. The scanner face I don't believe is removable, so I mounted it recessed so that it is behind the trim rather than out where it should be. It actually looks pretty good. For speaker, the scanner calls for 8 ohm and the stereo uses 4 ohm but that shouldn't matter. Are you asking about taking speaker out and feeding that to stereo's aux input? For me, I am still looking for a speaker location. If I can find a good grill - the best place on an 02 that I see is in the headliner. There is gobs of space between the headliner and the roof. We'll see. I think you are best off finding a location for a remote speaker and not going through the stereo or stereo speakers.

What are you doing for antenn? I think I will be mounting on the roof (mno mount). Like I say there is gobs of room in the headliner to pull the cable.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up just sitting the scanner on the passenger seat when I needed it and didn't permanently mount it because I wanted to be able to switch it between vehicles. I'm starting to look into the portable digital scanners and if I get one of them, I may hardmount the BCT15.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts