Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been helping a friend organise Prado 4x4's for export from Singapore. Here it is quite common to "scrap" a car (de-register it for export) as the Singapore government provides a rebate on the import duty and 10 year "certificate of entitlement (to own a car)".... For example the rebate on my own vehicle is about USD15,000 at the moment (it's on a sliding scale over 10 years). At some point in a cars life the owner does a mental calculation between what he owes (if any), what he can get for a trade (which includes the scrapping value) and often trades in on a new car - often in 3 - 5 years time after buying a new one. Most Singapore cars do low mileages short haul trips and offroad never happens! They are usually fully optioned.

A lot of these "scrap" cars are exported to curious places... Egypt, West Africa, Cyrpus... my friend and I are exporting to a Pacific Nation. The major costs are not actually buying the vehicle (4 year old Camry's and Nissans - US2000 to US3000 for example) but the import taxes at the other end and the shipping costs. Some countries have banned these imports (For example some states in Australia). You obviously would not import these cars into a country that drives on the right (for example Vietnam).

Out of curiosity I looked up Foresters.... Unbelievable how little they go for. I've attached a clip just to whet your appetite!

IF you're interested and you want to import these into your home country let me know. I can help with the Singapore side of things (I'm not offering a commercial service here - just some friendly advice and a connection).

The prices are in USD and very negotiable in my experience...

Attachments

·
Registered
MY08 Forester 2.5XT
101 Posts
Wow I'm not aware of how lucrative 'this side of the scene' can be. Do you need to be a registered business to do this?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts