Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
04 FXT
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have a nice TUrboXS up-pipe waiting to go on.

A friend offered me an Sti midpipe and axleback. If my research here is sound, those 2 pieces would keep me safe from needing to buy accessport and do any "tuning".

To me this sounds like a nice upgrade for little money. And more importantly, little effort on the retuning side.

Thoughts?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
The STi midpipe is identical to your stock midpipe except it has a slightly smaller resonator. The axleback flows a bit better than the XT one, but also mainly differs in sound level. If you're only replacing the uppipe and catback sections, you won't need a tune anyway, but it also won't really net you much in terms of performance gains.

·
Registered
04 FXT
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch for the fast feedback. I'm considering this for a few reasons:
1. The stock exhaust is really rusty and I don't give it much life. The Sti stuff only saw 5k miles on the road.
2. Should I upgrade the rest of the exhaust someday (and do a proper tune with it) I'm half done with the exhaust upgrade process.
3. This was bought primarily for my wife, and she REALLY wants an exhaust upgrade to satisfy her inner ricer ;)

The biggest issue right now, today, is that doing this will not REQUIRE the time/expense of tuning software. Which seems to be confirmed.

I gotta say, this is a great board. Thanks again

T

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
STi catback will bolt up okay, but you will need longer exhaust hangers to replace the 2 stock ones holding the muffler near the bumper -- the stock ones are too short. Your options are KartBoy XL hangers (may still be too short and melt your bumper), or the even longer NAPA Autoparts hangers (P/N 35719). Pictures of both can be seen here.

Stan

·
Registered
04 FXT
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you plan to correct EGT sensor w/ the catless up-pipe?
The unit I bought has a bung for the egt gauge. It's made by TurboXS. I admit I'm a n00b in the Subie world, but this piece seemed to be a solid buy, not requiring any messing about or tricking sensors. If you know otherwise please let me know. I'm very eager to learn. The unit in question appears about 3/4 of the way down the following page:

Turbo XS

The unit is solid cast and you can see the EGT bung. At least I assume the bung is for the egt. I bought it from a reputable member on this forum.

Thanks for the heads-up though

T

1 - 9 of 9 Posts