Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium/Manual
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 forester ignition key has a transponder chip (big fat plastic head on the key), spares are $50+ ! I want a spare key without the transponder chip, just a simple all-metal key.

Why? When I go surfing, I purposely lock my keys in the car and take just the door key with me into the water in the zipper pocket of my wetsuit.

Where/how can I get a cheapy all-metal key copy of the Subaru transponder key? It's a strange key. Thanks.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
My 2009 forester ignition key has a transponder chip (big fat plastic head on the key), spares are $50+ ! I want a spare key without the transponder chip, just a simple all-metal key.

Why? When I go surfing, I purposely lock my keys in the car and take just the door key with me into the water in the zipper pocket of my wetsuit.

Where/how can I get a cheapy all-metal key copy of the Subaru transponder key? It's a strange key. Thanks.
The 09+ keys are laser cut and I beleive the dealer is the only one that can get them for you.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
I'm also interested, for now I plan on taking the valet key when I'm paddling;

and lock the real keys inside somewhere, I think that if you have a spare 'barebones' key cut you going to hear horn until you can get to your real keys :biggrin:

·
Registered
40 Posts
valet key also has the transponder in it. you will ruin it by getting it wet.

why not stash a hide a key somewhere? Cheaper than getting a replacement key from the dealer. many different creative places to stash your keys...I've even locked them in a thule box or in the fenderwell.

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,123 Posts
I had to do this for a car once, a Honda, so I don't know for sure, but the dealer told me if I just wanted the key to open doors they would cut and sell me an unprogrammed key for... I think it was twenty something dollars. Since I was putting a remote start in the car and it would have the valet key in there anyway mounted under the steering column it didn't matter. The programmed key would have been like $85 I think.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium/Manual
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My spare key saga

Finally I got a metal spare key for my 2009 Forester. It took 3 hardware stores and 2 locksmiths, but finally the locksmith had a generic key blank (I think for a Hyundai) that was approx the correct dimensions. They laser cut it and ground one of the edges down so it would fit. $25 later I'm on the road.

I wanted this key so I can put it in my wetsuit while surfing, and lock the rest of my keys inside the car.

The alarm setup is weird...To do it right, I have to sit inside the car with all doors closed, push the lock button on the door, then manually UNlock the drivers door, get out, close door, and use the spare key in the door to re-lock the front door. That way, when I come back and use the spare key to unlock the drivers door, the alarm doesn't go off.

If I use the remote clicker and then toss my keys in the car, the alarm gets activated. Even if I push the door lock button on the driver's door and then close it from the outside, the alarm gets activated after 30 seconds and the spare key sets off the alarm.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Finally I got a metal spare key for my 2009 Forester. It took 3 hardware stores and 2 locksmiths, but finally the locksmith had a generic key blank (I think for a Hyundai) that was approx the correct dimensions. They laser cut it and ground one of the edges down so it would fit. $25 later I'm on the road.

I wanted this key so I can put it in my wetsuit while surfing, and lock the rest of my keys inside the car.

The alarm setup is weird...To do it right, I have to sit inside the car with all doors closed, push the lock button on the door, then manually UNlock the drivers door, get out, close door, and use the spare key in the door to re-lock the front door. That way, when I come back and use the spare key to unlock the drivers door, the alarm doesn't go off.

If I use the remote clicker and then toss my keys in the car, the alarm gets activated. Even if I push the door lock button on the driver's door and then close it from the outside, the alarm gets activated after 30 seconds and the spare key sets off the alarm.
Good info, thanks!

As I travel by ferry quite a bit, having the ability to lock the Forester without setting the alarm is real nice. Its rather tiring to listen to all these alarms going off on the car decks becasue of the motion of the ship. So I like it. Very similar to how the alarm on my Pathfinder worked as well, so not too weird to me :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2010 Outback
1 Posts
Where did you get your metal spare key?

Do you live in the LA area? I am looking for the same type of spare key for my 2010 Subaru and was wondering which store or locksmith you used. If you have the name and number of the business, please reply. Thank you.

·
Registered
2006 LGT
3 Posts
That is a very common blank. there's no reason that a hardware store that can cut keys wouldn't carry the subaru blank in stock (non transponder).

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Premium/Manual
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have to disagree w/ fantomas... At least in my area (Ventura, Santa Barbara Calif) none of the hardward stores had a similar blank or a laser cutter, even the dealer couldn't make a non-transponder key, and it took several calls and visits to different locksmiths to find a blank that would fit. The 2009 is a quad-laser cut key.

I'd suggest trying a mom-and-pop locksmith operation with a grinder and a 4-cut laster cutter. They are more creative than a hardware store or chain outlet.

They actually got out the calipers and measured my key and then went to find something that would fit. It think it was an off-brand Hyundai blank by label, but after then cut it and ground it a bit, it worked.

·
Registered
2009 Forester auto
1 Posts
key too big

would it be possible to chisel off the plastic part of the key with the transponder and tape that to the dash, while carrying around just the metal part of the key? or are cheap non-transponder keys more readily available now, two years after this thread got dropped?

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Auto
1 Posts
FreeKey!!

I have the same issue with needing to deal with keys, when I would rather just lock 'em in!!

Got to Home - Austec Electronics (NZ) Limited for a look at the worlds first self-contained, voice-operated door lock system - FreeKey!!

Perfect for surfers and others - I've had one for months, and while it takes a little getting used to - it removes the issue of keys completely.

Mark

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Base CVT
57 Posts
I have wired magnetic switch parallel to UNLOCK switch on door, and routed wire where I can access from placing strong magnet from outside. ( magnetic switch sell cheap on ebay , such as this one on link, make sure it is Normally OPEN, other wise when there is NO magnet, circuit is open, closes when magnet is near )

just keep strong magnet somewhere outside attach to the car. and use the magnet to hidden location where magnetic switch is located. the magnet come with magnetic switch is not strong enough to activate Magnetic switch from distance , but stronger magnet can close magnetic switch a few inches away. cheapest method I know of for hidden key.

5 Magnetic Door Window Contact Reed Switch Alarm Security Ademco Honeywell Gri | eBay

·
Registered
2010 Forester
619 Posts
This idea has a lot of merit. But does opening the door "from the inside" deactivate the alarm?
So, your switch is somewhere inside the door, or can be anywhere in the car if you run enough wire around, right?

Cool.

·
Registered
57 Posts
in page 2-20 of user manual, there is method how to activate and deactivate alarm function of 2014 Forester 2.5i base model with "NO keyless engine Starter", I have deactivate alarm function as it say in user manual. after the deactivation, the LCD Display on dashboard says "AlOf" just as it say in manual. and by unlocking using magnetic switch did not trigger alarm. user manual can be downloaded from subaru web site, it is in "KEYs and DOORs" section of online PDF manual.

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I run my wire attached to magnetic switch somewhere inside of door. I just had to make sure wire does not get caught while opening and closing windows. magnetic switch I had came with about 4 ft of wire, that was sufficient to place magnetic switch any where inside of door.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did some experimentation on 2014 Forester 2.5i Base Model without Remote Starter.

ALL link below require IPv6 to access.

I made a coil loop wrapping around key. ( I used valet key ) and open loop to place around ignition.

"orange wire" and "yellow wire are connected in loop like this" , so it double loop.

I was able to start engine using normal key as in this video.
Video of Starting Engine with Normal Key

it appear that once engine is started with RF ID key, engine keeping running even RF ID chip is taken away, at least 5 minutes when I tested.
And as long as I did not remove the key from ignition, normal KEY ( NO RF ID ) can restart engine, once initially started with RF ID near ignition.

More detail in web site below-->
http:/ag6ju-01.dynv6.net:5950/data-store/subaru/2014--forester-2-5i--key-01.html

·
Registered
2015 Forester
37 Posts
Thanks to all that replyed to my querry about this very topic. Indeed, the Ilco B110/P1114 that is normally used on GM cars and trucks works just fine for a lockout key, Interestingly, the Walmart key man has a chipped key reader and he stuck my valet key into it and it said, "Unable to read" Also, our Sub dealer said a new valet key would be $500. Lord knows what a FOBed key would cost but I am very sad that we were not given two valet keys and two lockout keys with the vehicle. The actual cost to Subaru would have been very minimal, IMHO. Spokane has the highest rate of Sub owners in the country...1 In 10 cars is a Subaru and we have had 3. This situation has cost me hours of research, false info and thank the Lord for this forum.

So basically, if one is to travel long distances, I think that one should have a lockout key strapped somewhere on the outside of the car and a valet key hidden inside of it. If you loose your FOB key, it seem you would be up the creek without a paddle otherwise.

If anyone hears of a way to obtain a valet key for say $70 for a 2015 and has done It successfully, I would like to know about it. I was an electronic tech for 30 years and there is no way a valet key is worth $500. And if there is a way that Subaru cant make 100s of thousands of keys for less than that, I would appreciate being corrected with facts. My smart phone was free with the purchase of a one year $100 activation card and its a bit more sophisticated than a programmable transponder chip.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
37 Posts
OK, ref cost of new valet key. this from my sales person at Parker Subaru in N. Idaho.

to me

128 plus tax for the valet key and the cutting.

43 for programming.

$175 including tax and labor. For 1 valet key. Ask for josh in parts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts