Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2006 2.0 XE Manual N/A
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:icon_idea::icon_idea::icon_idea:

If car manufacturers made both front seats identical, then they could be rotated at the annual service (like the tyres) to even out the wear.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Hmm, add extra airbags into a seat that would be plugged in only half of the time. Plug and unplug airbag plugs on somewhat regular basis. Hope they all work when the car goes BANG in an accident. I see why this wouldn't work for soooo many reasons.

dumbass :biggrin:

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Anyone else seeing why we have our own forum...? :biggrin:

Mike, is a good idea.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Or you just have airbags on both sides! Then when you crash you have some nice padding in the middle of the car lol.

It would be nice though as then both front seats would have the same adjustments and such (and you could buy jdm RHD seats and they would be correct for LHD as well!)

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Come on chaps...this is an idea - a hypothetical discussion. Stop being so bloomin picky on local laws/regs/**** and join in. It's a good idea from Mike. The point is to discuss why it SHOULD happen.... not all the **** about why it can't !!

My point was that if they did make them identical, they wouldn't pass the safety laws and regulations...at least not here in the USA.
Laws and regs change every week....no reason why they can't change to suit if there was financial pressure from some of the biggest manufacturers in the world eh :biggrin:

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
It would be nice though as then both front seats would have the same adjustments and such (and you could buy jdm RHD seats and they would be correct for LHD as well!)

Hey now that is a brilliant suggestion !! Must be better for manufacturers too !! If all seat adjustments were made on the front edge then there would be no need for side specific adjusters.

·
Registered
2004 Forester Sti 6 MT
723 Posts
I have Recaros in mine and they are indeed identical. Just swapped them over a couple of months ago to even out the wear.

2007 XT Sports Manual
6,407 Posts
No worries chaps. I'm by no means trying to knock MikeD's thoughts. I was just postin' an initial question and an opinion. That's what the forum is for...right?

It's all good.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
How about just doing what my postal carrier does; she has pedals installed on the right side and reaches over to stear with one hand. That way you can drive from either seat. (I'm not making this up. It looks hugely dangerous)

·
Registered
2009 forester
136 Posts
good idea and bad

i think it is a good idea but then again it would just be another feature that the car companys can add a few more grand to the already overpriced market!!!!!!

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
What a brill' idea, air bags all round, adjusters at the front and a simple catch/locking mechanism so it is an easy job....I'm sure lots would do it if there was the option !! Do away with all the electrical connectors and have a wire free system..There you go , all sorted thanks to this forum. Somebody just tell Subaru !

Back to dreamland.

Cheers

Brian

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,623 Posts
Arent the seats shaped in driver/passenger mode?

A great idea, it would be great to rotate the seats.

Regards

Am

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
I think what everyone has failed to comprehend with swapping seats over is that you are effectively transfering your arse groove to the passenger seat. and I for one have worked hard to get an arse groove in my drivers seat :biggrin:

"You better not be in my Arse groove"

·
Registered
01 UK S-Turbo AT
1,556 Posts
the Major problem with an internet-based forum is that members from all over the world can post in a local forum applying their local knowledge to our local questions, which makes for pointless threads. A matter relating to European vehicles obviously doesn't need an answer relating to US vehicles now, does it?! If a new post in placed in the Europe section, why do the yanks continually feel the need to hijack threads, call the idea pointless and illegal and qualify it by saying stuff like "...at least not here in the US..." !

I'm no engineer or qualified mechanic but I get really bored sifting through irrelevant material. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. MisInformation overload is even worse :(

This is aimed at no one specific user, but can we all please stop and think before posting, if - for example - your input has no relevance to European threads. PLEASE!??!

That's why we have a Euro section of the forum, for Euro cars/questions/ideas. It's in the title - EUROPE. Get it?

Rant over.

Thanks for not setting the dogs on me.

Mike

1 - 20 of 34 Posts